I heard back from ASU!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet blower88, Feb 28, 2006.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    and I didn't get in....

But that's ok I guess, we'll see what kind of schoolarships U of A and Northern Arizona want to offer me....

2. beartrumpet74

beartrumpet74 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    David-
    sorry to hear about ASU, BUT.......
    it's just one school, and your love of trumpet and such are going to take you a long way. Did you know that quarterback Joe Montana was drafted in the 12th round of the NFL draft when he came out of college? Hardly a blue chip prospect, but he ended up being the best quarterback to ever play the game...arguably anyway....
    Keep up the good work and keep your head up. Your post also seems to suggest a great sense of humor...that may be the most important part of being a musician anyway... SO , sounds like you have the hard stuff down already...
    best wishes
    Matt Lawson
    www.mattlawson.net

3. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Between the ages of 17 and 20 I auditioned for admission to Indiana University and was rejected on 3 separate occasions. I am now in my 9th year on the faculty at IU and have had a nice little career in the process of getting to this point.

It can hurt, but if you don't let yourself get down but use this experience to refocus and increase your commitment to work you will be fine.

4. trumpjosh

trumpjosh Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2003
    Sorry to hear that. Make sure to try again for the Master's program when it is time. Hickman hears a TON of auditions and has a very limited number openings each year, as I'm sure you know.

Don't let rejection get you down. As competetive as this business is, unfortunately one needs to get used to it.

5. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    Aye Its not the end of the world. Your trumpet playing is still going to take you places, you're young. Its nothing to fret over, and like trumpjosh mentioned, you can go back for the masters program, or you can reaudition at a later date.

Luckily, you have other school that it seems you have auditioned at, so you can go through the program there, or you can start there and maybe transfer to ASU at some point if you pass the audition

6. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    David,

Ed Reid is in Tucson. He would be a great person to study with! He's a former Hickman student. Also "Athos" from this board as well as TH is in Tucson and plays with Ed in the Tucson Symphony. You would have some great learning opportunities at U of A.

Stay positive. You will find a good fit for yourself.

7. PerunaPete

PerunaPete Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Huh? Joe Montana was drafted in the 3rd round in the 79 draft and was considered one of the top quarterbacks in college considering that he was playing at Notre Dame. Anyway, I'm digressing....

Like everyone said, keep it up. Don't let it get you down. Things happen for a reason. Who knows? A few years down the road and it might be a blessing. You never know what will happen but I'm sure you'll find yourself going down a successful path. Good luck with your other auditions.

8. KMT

KMT Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Okay, then how about Tom Brady (6th round, 199th pick), and I know the baseball draft is not terribly interesting, but Mike Piazza was 1390th pick (62nd round) in 1988. If you're a hockey fan, how about Luc Robitaille (9th round, 171st overall)?

9. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    How about Jake Delhomme who was not only not drafted, but was cut by the New Orleans 'Aints more than once. He led hsi team to the super bowl and this year made the pro bowl.

More proof that good things eventually happen to good people!

10. sublmbadfish

sublmbadfish Pianissimo User

Jul 9, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey David,
    Keep us posted seeing as I'm in the same boat as you just waiting in anticipation for the letters from school. It’s so hard to get to the mailbox everyday and have there be nothing.

Hey PH. I applied to Indiana and im still awaiting my acceptance. Lots o' trumpets auditioning there, How many did you hear?