I heard back from ASU!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet blower88, Feb 28, 2006.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Yes, I've been emailing back and forth with Mr. Reid yesterday and today. We have an audition schedualed for next saturday. He seems great. And I love the weather down in Tucson, nice and hot!

I also just got off the phone with Stephen Dunn, the professor up at Northern Arizona. He already seems excited about me. We're already talking about scholarships and he hasn't even heard me play yet! We set up an audition for this comming Tuesday along with a personal tour of the school and lunch. So that seems pretty good.

I'm deffinatly excited. The more I thought about it over today, I'm actualy quite contempt with not attending ASU. I'd be paying almost 15K a year to be a small fish in a big pond, when I have the possibility of being the big fish in a small pond and having most of my tuition paid! They both have their goods and bads, but I have a very positive aditude about the whole situation right now.

Thank you everyone for all your kind words.

2. timothypierson

timothypierson Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2005
    I took a lesson with Stephen Dunn last spring while he was at Oregon. I learned a lot from that one lesson. He is very knowledgeable and a methodical teacher. He has many analogies on trumpet playing and is extremely knowledgeable in theory. I was looking forward to studying, when I transfer to Oregon. My loss may be your gain. Anyway, good luck with your auditions.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Wow! Now that is a testimony to tenacity and drive. Rejected 3 times? Man, I have an almost pathological fear of rejection - I don't know how I would have handled that, especially not as a 17 or 18 year old kid.

Just keep playing and keep after it. Pat's isn't the only story where the key component to success was "try, try again" in the face of a setback.

4. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Well, I only hear jazz majors. We have over 50 jazz majors auditioning this weekend on all the instruments total--including 20 saxophones.

Joey heard all the trumpets so far. Typically, they hear about 100 auditions live every year plus a few that only submit recordings.

Joey?

5. Larry Smithee

Larry Smithee New Friend

Dec 2, 2003
    Tennessee
    Having heard you relate this story before I still love hearing it. In fact I've mentioned to a number of my students who come back from various graduate audition wars. There's a lot to be said for perseverance.

Larry

6. mbfan

mbfan New Friend

Apr 13, 2006
    So do you have any decisions yet, do you know where you are going? Good luck...

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Wasn't there something about a guy named Lincoln failing 20 something times before making it in politics?

8. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Keep after it David.

Your young, and have so much time. It seems like you don't, but believe me you do. Just keep after it and good things will happen for you. ;-)

9. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    So, this topic resurfaced, and it made me realize I think I never posted informing everyone here what I've decided for colleges.

I've decided on NAU, (northern arizona university). I got a talent/music scholarship as well as an academic scholarship. The band program up there has always been a pretty strong program, many people havn't heard of it just beause its a fairly small school. The trumpet studio has been a litle icky the past few years because they've gone through 3 professors in the last 4 years, fortunatly Dr. Stephen Dunn is now there and will be there for a while. He's working hard to build up a strong studio.

All in all, I think I'm in a pretty good position. The only things I'm not likeing is the colder weather and next years marching show is "The Music of Queen".... I hate Queen... I think I'd rather play "Variations on Hot Cross Buns".

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    As an interesting coincidence, one of my former high school teachers is on staff there - Dr. Rick Stamer. Dr. Stamer was the show choir/madrigal choir director in my small SW Nebraska hometown when I was in high school and he took a group of about 16-20 marginally talented kids and turned us into one of the best vocal groups in the state. We swept music contests for virtually every vocal ensemble award all 4 years I was in high school. (When I say we swept the awards, I mean that we walked away with all of them - under his direction we got to the point where the other schools simply didn't have a chance.) He's demanding, but he's VERY, VERY good.

http://www.cal.nau.edu/music/html/facultypages/stamer.htm

If you remember this when you finally wind up meeting him, and you will wind up meeting him because he's the coordinator for the undergrad music program at NAU, tell him you are an online aquaintence with Patrick Gleason, one of his former HS students from Imperial, Nebraska.