I Just Broke My Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bass_snake, Apr 12, 2009.

1. bass_snake

bass_snake New Friend

Apr 10, 2009
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Hey guys,

Do you think I can repair this myself or should I bring it to a shop? How much do you think I would cost to get it fixed?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It just need those 2 things to stick together.

Fred

2. bass_snake

bass_snake New Friend

Apr 10, 2009
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Hey guys,

Do you think I can repair this myself or should I bring it to a shop? How much do you think I would cost to get it fixed?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It just need those 2 things to stick together.

Fred

3. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    You can just tape with brace by the mouthpiece on with electrical tape, if it doesn't matter much to you, or you don't have the cash to get it fixed. The middle one on the valve should be fine if you tape the front brace back on.

But, if it's not inconvenient, you should probably get it fixed.
    Alternatively, if you know someone who solders, they could fix it, but make sure they use the right solder, and do it right. Google it, and make sure they know what they're doing.

4. bass_snake

bass_snake New Friend

Apr 10, 2009
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Thanks Will. :-) I was actually thinking of just taping it. Do they use a special solder to fix it?

5. JDay

JDay Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    This sort of repair is usually quick, and fairly inexpensive. While having a friend solder it may be tempting, I think I would have someone do it that has some experience. An inexpensive repair can quickly become an expensive one if the person doing the work does not have any experience in trumpet repair.

How was the horn damaged? The advice below is what I would do:

It looks like the leadpipe was under stress (or damaged) and the brace moved away from the bell where it was attached. A good repairman would adjust the brace to rest against the leadpipe then solder them together without the original stress. Since the brace from the valve block has also failed there was likely a bit of stress at that brace point as well. The process of fixing it would likely include refitting both Z braces so that the leadpipe contacts both Z braces and the valve block brace without any stress. This usually improves the play of the horn which is a good thing!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Jack

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    IMHO I would be really inclined to get it to a technician, sooner rather than later. It looks like a nice horn - don't let it deteriorate or you will begin to hate it. A couple of small soldering jobs like that won't be expensive and you can have the rest of the trumpet checked for distortion at the same time. What were you doing, playing cricket with it?:lol:

7. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I doubt it would be more than $20 or $30 to fix.

8. sonicgeo2

sonicgeo2 Pianissimo User

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, what happened?

9. bass_snake

bass_snake New Friend

Apr 10, 2009
    Stouffville, Ontario
    I was practicing and my right thumb just moved it up. It' s more than a decade old trumpet that I just got from a trade a month ago. :dontknow:

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Repair shop.

Probably $20, at the most.