I Just Broke My Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bass_snake, Apr 12, 2009.

1. nickpasternack

nickpasternack Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    yup, simple solder job. Any tech can do it.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Should be an inexpensive repair for any shop...

3. Jasperloma

Jasperloma New Friend

Dec 25, 2008
    El Segundo, CA
    Anything you try to do yourself will cost you at least $100.00 to undo when it goes wrong.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Are you shooting yourself in a mirror, or is it a left-handed horn?

The soldering is easy, not messing up the lacquer is more difficult. The leadpipe brace is not a challenge, but you have to be careful with heat near the valve block. All the valves and caps off, the torch aimed from over the #2 cylinder towards the brace and bell, so you don't risk heating the cylinder. I would probably pull the stems and buttons, but leave the caps and pistons in place to help pull the heat away. I may be more worried about cylinder heat deformation than necessary. Maybe Brekelefuw will chime in.

veery

5. bass_snake

bass_snake New Friend

Apr 10, 2009
    Stouffville, Ontario
    It' s a right-handed horn. I just forgot to flip the photo after I took it.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    And the sign on the shop wall says:

Labor Rates
    $40/hour; if you watch, $60/hour; if you help, $100/hour

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    It isn't a hard thing to fix. How did you break it?
    Injuries in brass instruments cause stress in them, and can change the way the horn plays if the stress isn't released. If the horn just popped apart, that means it is very stressed, and maybe you should talk to the tech about releasing the stress by reassembling the horn. This would cost more, and should only be done if necessary, but it is something to think about.

Merely clamping the leadpipe down and soldering it can create stress on the brace that hasn't popped. If he unsolders the last brace on the leadpipe side he can clean up the solder joints and then use the main tuning slide to rotate the leadpipe back onto the braces. He can just lay the horn down on a table and resolder it so only gravity is used to secure the leadpipe. This will ensure the least amount of stress on the damaged area.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  8. bass_snake

bass_snake New Friend

Apr 10, 2009
    Stouffville, Ontario
    I was practicing and my right thumb just moved it up. It' s more than a decade old trumpet that I just got from a trade a month ago.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Don't use tape, get the thing fixed. The sound suffers, the chance for further damage is pretty real. Presently only the leadpipe is loose. It can bend, as can also the bell when the braces are not attached. Do the RIGHT thing!

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    More than a decade old - how much more? I have one made in 1955, and it looks sweeeet, even now. :thumbsup: