I just can not figure it out

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by taejo98, Mar 2, 2015.

1. taejo98

taejo98 New Friend

Mar 1, 2015
    Hi everyone,

I'm new here and have a question.
    It's one of those standard questions about endurance and high register... but for me nothing seems to be working. I've read alot of threads already on this toppic and alot of those are here to be found. Call me lazy, but I've tried to search for good ones, found some, but I'm not going to look through all 700 pages here...

I tried everything. I play with only sufficient amount of pressure, I support my notes with air, and not my arm.
    I have a teacher, who is I would say competent enough.
    I train very hard and am willing to give it everything.

My basic practice is, all scales upto 4x# and 4xb as wel as some minor scales, chromatic each and every direction, lip slurs, interval training upto 2 octaves. long notes and pedal notes.

I've tried everything to be capable of having better endurance and a solid high register, but I seem to be stuck and don't know what it is...
    I'm only playing for about 5.5 years and I'm told I'm (going to be) one of the best cornet players they know. Everybody says I have alot of potential and are training me to become the lead player for when the current one is not capable anymore. I don't want to disappoint.

In my current situation When I play I can do all the stuff a lead player should be capable of( but only upto high g(the one above the high C)because we don't need a highblower), but only for about 10 minutes.
    At that point I'm pretty much done with that and I go back to play 3rd trumpet/cornet level.
    my lips don't feel numd or stiff. My muscles do feel a bit tentioned but that's all. My sound is at this point very shakey( can't hit the core). And it sounds like air escapes. I have pretty much all the symptomps of too much pressure, but I don't use alot at all. And if I rest for 5 minutes I can play good again for like 15 minutes and then it goes down again...

My teacher is originally a french horn player but classified to also be a bugel/trumpet/cornet teacher.
    He is pretty much no help for me because of his strickted knowledge on trumpet/cornet.

My embouchure is very odd... I play very much on my upper lip, because of my overbite. Some of my lower lip is under my mouthpiece. my cornet is tilted up and my head down so the bell does point forwards. ( rather odd right)
    My teacher tried to learn me the basic way but I just could't play in any other way and he left it like this because my sound is clear and bright.

I don't know what to do and maybe someone here does...
    maybe someone here knows this and can explain what I should or shouldn't do

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Practice, practice, practice. Long tones at ppp make sure your lower and middle register is squared away and be patient. 5.5 years is not a long time. I've been at it for 25+ years and learn more every day. Play the horn don't fight it, in the end your trumpet will win the battle. Maybe try to get a second opinion from another teacher who's primary instrument is the trumpet. If you are playing in the high register for ten minutes at a time I would assume you blow a lot of us away. Good luck on your journey and don't let your head get in the way

3. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Oh and by the way 3rd trumpets have to have a good grip on high register playing also. If you can't play well down low the upper register is going to suffer also. It's not all about being a lead player without the support of the rest of the band you are only a player. Just relax and carry on

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    It sound like you're playing above your means. There may be some issues too with body use that lead to tension and compensating mechanisms that have you running out after these 10 minutes. Your routine is pretty extensive (and taxing) and must take a while. Perhaps you should scale it down by 20 minutes and spend that time playing music. These are only suggestions from a lowly amateur, hopefully the more qualified here will help you.

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi 98,
    You stated:
    "I'm new here and have a question.
    I've read alot of threads already on this toppic and alot of those are here to be found. Call me lazy, but I've tried to search for good ones, found some, but I'm not going to look through all 700 pages here...
    ---
    Well...if you insist,
    Dear Lazy.
    It's good to hear from you and thank you for the question!
    So let me get this right. You've read many posts and found some good ones.
    What are those "good ones"?
    What makes you qualified to call them "good ones"?
    98, you have to do the work. Quit tweekbooking and facespacing and get to work!
    Good hard work done properly and with regularity is a tonic for a lot of trumpet woes.
    The internet is full of wannabees. Don't be one.
    Dr.Mark

6. taejo98

taejo98 New Friend

Mar 1, 2015
    thanks for the replies!

Dennis78,

I know 5.5 years isn't much, but it feels like I haven't had alot of progress in the last 2 years. And by 10 minutes I don't mean full 10 minutes of high register playing, but more like I can play comfortable between middle and high C, and after those 10 minutes I can't go alot higher than g... And I need to get those 10 minutes to about an hour, because that's how long a concert would be.
    I will put those long soft notes into my routine, but could you explain what they're good for?

Phil 986,
    The routine takes about half an hour, since all the scales take a total of 3 minutes or so, and so the rest really is about the lip slurs and intervals.
    And what do you mean with compensating mechanisms?

7. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Playing quite promotes good breath support, it could be your over blowing. In my personal experience it takes more air to make low note louder and less air in the upper register. higher note project further at lower volume. to much air could be the culprit. Try moving faster cool air in the upper register like blowing in a girls ear on the other end like blowing warm air on her neck

8. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Hell I could spend 10 minutes on the c major scale alone if you're just blowing through all those scales up and down and chromatically then what do you consider to long tones. Do long tones longer, scales slower make good use out of practice don't just run through it. Haste makes waste

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    [​IMG]

10. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    What does this mean?? You are playing all scales 4x, or you are ignoring C#/Db, B/Cb, F#/Gb?

Anyway... you need to build strength in the upper register by doing flexibilities, scales, clarke, arpeggios, etc.. in that register. Colin Advanced Lip Flexibilities. 8va Clarke #2. Chromatic scales: Start on Middle C to High C and increase by half steps. Go slow and as soft as you can. Schlossberg. Chicowicz Flow Studies. And.... play ALL the scales.