I just can not figure it out

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by taejo98, Mar 2, 2015.

1. taejo98

taejo98 New Friend

Mar 1, 2015
    Dr.Mark,

Thank you, very helpful information

Dennis78,

Thank you for the explanation.
    Those scales are not some much for practicing techniques but more for memorizing them. It's a part of my exam and I need to be capable to not even think about them when I play them as my teacher says.
    But I will definitely start using them more as a tool.

2. taejo98

taejo98 New Friend

Mar 1, 2015
    Jiabry,

Yes that's what I mean.
    for the HaFaBra C exam you only have to know the scales G,D,A,E- F,Bb,Eb,Ab and minor scales. Because this is the official system and my teacher follows this I only know these scales.
    But at the moment I'm making a list of all the information given to me and will try to implement as much into my routine which I'm going to change and I will put in all the scales

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Eb Minor has to be a bit klunkier if you don't know F# Major.... Same thing for Ab Minor & Bb Minor.

4. taejo98

taejo98 New Friend

Mar 1, 2015
    that's why I also don't need to know all the minor and gypsy scales

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    That's the point I was trying to make, you said you needed Bb, Eb, & Ab + minor. I thought you meant that included those keys in minor also.

The scales aren't related to your strength issue though.

6. taejo98

taejo98 New Friend

Mar 1, 2015
    Sorry that I might have confused you, English is not my first language and sometimes I don't understand it to the fullest.

about those scales, I still going to implement those into my new routine. If it helps me to be a overall better musician, I take it.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Our aperture (the opening between our lips when we play) is more open when playing low or loud, and smaller when playing high or softly. Practicing softly is a low impact way to develop muscular strength and endurance. When I was about your age I too played with a very high setting, and suffered with low endurance, even though I had a double C.

In college I changed to more of a 50/50 setting, and it took six months to get a decent sound, but as the chops developed I ended up with a good orchestral sound, could switch to more of a commercial sound, and yeah, the range came back.

8. Michael T. Doublec

Michael T. Doublec Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2014
    Typically when you have endurance problems you are over blowing in terms of volume. If you practice with sound deadening headphones you will soon understand the right volume vs. the too loud. If you play at 60 to 70% of your maximum volume you will last longer. Pace yourself and don't go at everything 100%. Also perform in public often and get stage chops. It sounds as if those have eluded you so far. Good luck.

Mike Fesi

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If we want to do a good job, we need a concept. Standard wind band players will have trouble with specialty playing like lead, because they are missing the sound concept and confuse blowing the crap out of the horn with making skillful incisions like a surgeon. There is no set routine to get lead chops. Many are incapable, however talented because they don't "hear" what is necessary. High notes can be learned simply by spending enough time (for some, a lifetime however). Specialty playing needs additionally an attitude. It is easy to see that you are content with basic googling. That means that you are especially well suited for 3rd trumpet. The REAL killer players cannot be stopped. They do anything and everything to get ahead.
    Good luck. I think that you will need it. The players capable of teaching lead do not spoon feed.

10. taejo98

taejo98 New Friend

Mar 1, 2015
    Thank you for the feedback everyone.

I noticed that when I play I do miss alot of skill requered to be called adequate. I realised when I played it was alot harder than I first thought it was. I see I have alot to work and I think you people have helped me get a better picture of my situation. I will practice harder but softer.
    5.5 years isn't much experience by any stretch of the imagination and experience is something I can't learn. I will work on my muscle strength, flexibility and everything needed to become a good player.