i just did a big self cleaning job and all i can say is WOW

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Feb 1, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    In order to keep my trumpet from dying on me, i clean it every two weeks. After these cleanings the monday during band she is like a new horn (old beuscher aristocrat). My cleanings are normally very basic dry runs. I clean the lead pipe with industrial sized q-tips do to their soft manner, and i wipe down all my slides and valves/casings.
    Yesterday i dedicated my time to giving it a bath. I cleaned everything from the basics all the way down to the key ring. today i put everything back together after letting it airdry overnight. my tuning slide was greased, and my valves and fast slides were oiled. The results were just WOW. First when i was running my fingers along the valves my 3rd valve slide would not stay in the trumpet it was just falling out. then when i played the sound it produced was similar to that of my friends xeno. i was shocked. never did i think i could get it to play like a brand new horn. the valves line up and react greatly.
    for those high school students out there who think its stupid to give ur trumpet a bath and clean it often, do so it creates the greatest results in how your horn works, and for me it has helped my horn last a lot longer then my music store predicted(it was supposed to die out last year)

2. Pakatak

Pakatak New Friend

Yeah, I love the feel of getting my trumpet and playing it after a bath... I think that's what I'll do today, let it sit in the bathtub during the super bowl. That way, I don't feel guilty about not practicing... :lol:

3. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I do not mind it. It is a needed thing! I had to clean a baritone and tuba as well as a kid. SO a trumpet is a piece of cake! I do all mine on a once a month basis if I am playing them. I clean my valves and valve caseing's weekly on anything not in storage. For my weekly valve cleaning's I have a valve case/engine mop. I like to hit it with 70%-100% alcohol and. I use q-tips for the inside of the valve port's because nothign else works as well even though you are not supposed to use things like q-tips because they can leave fiber's behind. I just make sure I check them closely. I use a wash rage for the outised of the valve. I oil them up and put them back in. I clean my mouth piece with anti-bacterial soap and hot water once a week too. Now once I get around to replaceing my leadpipeon my Reynolds I am going to make a swab from car chamois and 550 Parachute cord. I f I had my way I would probably coat the inside of the leadpipe with a very weak mild radioactive isotobe. The same stuff the us in Japan in the refrigarator to prevent mold and foul smells. They have theyse hanging tags like a car air freshner thatis slightly radio active that prevents mold and stuff from gowing any place inthe fridge. That or maybe line the inside with teflon of some other material that does nto react to to spit,enzyme's, and food particle etc.... from your breath....

As I fix up a trumpet I get more agressive with it's maintence. Once like new I try to keep them that way. Also on any repair I have been considering the use of nickle,rose brass and red brass. I have been told by a repair technician that these are imune to the zink loss red-rot situation. So if you have to replace a crook or inner tube or leadpipe it might not be a bad idea to improve as you go!!! Their is no reason that you Aristocrat cannot be around for another 100 years and at some point better then it was when it was built!!! Everything is rebuildable on a trumpet! If your Aristcrat is pre 1953 if I remember right then it is a pro- horn it was one step down fromt he top of the line Super Aristocrat. After 1953 word has it that Conn made them student models but no real word on what they did to make them so etc.......

4. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    I hardly ever emmerse my trumpet in a bath (mabey twice a year).But I do oil it every day and run a few spit balls through it daily.Also grease the slides with bag balm every week and run the snake through it, and also the casing brush.The spitballs do the rest.This only takes a few minutes and my trumpet is as clean as when it was new.My strad is 10yrs old and the valves are great.I never wipe my valves dry when I oil because I oil so frequently.Works great for my trumpet.A little daily maintenance makes more sense to me than going overboard every few weeks.Give the spitballs a try there great.I wash the spitballs in Irory dish liquid and reuse them a few more times.

5. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    To get a horn work properly is exactly the same as with cars.
    They need regular service.

Every 3. months, my horns (Bobby & Connie) are dissasembled and
    put into the bath tub (together of course, they are married.....)
    with hot water added dish washing soap. They stay in the water until the
    water is at room temperature, which means 2-3 hours.

I unscrew the shower head and flush through the "body" and all the slides,
    tubes and valves. The snake is used for the tubings and all parts are again
    flushed with water. The valves are cleaned with the moutpiece brush and
    flushed with water. The valve casings are washed through with a polishing cloth
    mounted on a valve casing rod and flushed with water.

All parts are dried with a microfiber cloth.

Slides which have no triggerfunction are greased with slide grease,
    and slides with triggerfunction are oiled with tuning slide oil.
    Valves gets their dose of valve oil.

The horns are put carefully together, get a round with a polishing cloth,
    and VOILA! good as new! (Sometimes better than new).

The picture is taken after the bath, and shows all parts of the horns,
    and also all of the equipment I use for the operation.

No animals were harmed during these operations.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
    MJ likes this.
  6. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I need to name my Strad....

And I researched cleaning the trumpet, before I bathed mine, and one guy said put the whole trumpet in the water, valves in :0

I decided to give mine a nice tinfoil bath, and soaked the valves in a cup with some soapy water.

7. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    "with hot water added dish washing soap."

Just an FYI for those with lacquer (especially vintage horns) go easy on the hot water. Can strip the lacquer right off those horns.

8. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi, Bill.

How is your Image Flugelhorn holding up after a few months?

You gave it glowing reviews and played it for us earlier.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

9. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    You're absolutely right.
    "Babyhot" water for laquered instruments.

10. Pakatak

Pakatak New Friend

As stupid of a question as this may be, what's so bad about getting the felts on your valves wet? It seems to be common knowledge that getting them wet is bad, but why?