i just did a big self cleaning job and all i can say is WOW

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Feb 1, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    wet felt changes its shape and thickness, letting your valves go out of alignment as well as making the valves sound "clunky". If they disintegrate in the casing, the valves don't go up and down anymore either.

If you are playing a lot, once a month is not a bad idea for a bath!

As far as the valves working fine, that is not a measure of anything. Even worn out valves with proper care move freely. Proper care keeps the valves TIGHT and moving freely!

2. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    I usually clean mines about very 3 months(i know, i should do it more often:dontknow:), but after the cleaning, the trumpet feels better.:-)

3. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Any horn that's being played regularly gets a thorough bath and cleaning at least every month. The ones that are played less often probably average every couple of months. With a modest collection of horns plus my granddaughter's, that means I'm cleaning one or two horns every weekend. I didn't do this for a long time, but now that I've learned better, I'll never stop it. It makes a big difference in playing ease, if nothing else.

4. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    "Hi, Bill.

How is your Image Flugelhorn holding up after a few months?

You gave it glowing reviews and played it for us earlier.

Best wishes,

Lloyd"

It is still just fine. No complaints at all. Valves are still good, still sounds just fine. No problem at all. I highly recommend it for those looking for an inexpensive Flugel.

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    i never really gave it an actual bath before except for yesterday, i normally do my dry cleanings which work very well but the bath was just a WOW....
    i didnt put my valves in water though cuz they are peeling and considering i am a student i didnt know if i should test them so i just wiped them down
    as for the type of aristocrat it is a student horn being its from the 1970s but i personally like how it plays and sounds better then the TR300 and xeno, however my bach strad 37 is on the way so i will have to see bout tht, but othewise it is a great horn nd my goal is to make it last for at least the rest of high school mainly cuz i use it for marching band, but its a great horn therefore i spend more time cleaning it and performing maintenance (to the point where i am the trumpet fixer in my line) then playing and in general on myself.....

6. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hey,

I am curious to know what brand of silver polish you guys use.

7. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Hey ROWUK maybe a sticky of Mr. Wizards orig. recipe might be useful some place for cleaning silver.

8. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    How long do felts last? What is the first thing I should have to replace/repair on my trumpet? And, if you get your felts wet, will it be good again when it's dry?

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    This is one of those things that can only be answered by "it depends". It depends on how wet they get, what quality felt is used, how hard you depress the valves, etc.

i. Step 1 - clean,
    ii. Step 2 - replace the felts,
    iii. Step 3 - deal with whatever else you can afford.

If you get your felts wet then I reckon "they have gone to God" because when they dry out they might as well be cardboard.

My trumpets go to the tech about every two years for a check, and I get him to change the felts, and corks, each time - the entire process costs about $20-$30- cheap IMHO..

10. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Good news, Bill!

I think you go hold of a good one there.

Thanks!

Best wishes,

Lloyd