i just did a big self cleaning job and all i can say is WOW

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Might be a stupid question as I have never been in Marching Band. But wouldn't the felts on the out part of the trumpet get wet if it rains, and cause them to be hard like cardboard when dry?

2. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    umm well my felts have never been replaced and we have been in big downpours, but it probably does do that but mine are so thin it doesnt matter at this point....i think

3. limbo

limbo New Friend

Aug 1, 2008
    POOPLAND, CHINA

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  4. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I will bet that if you took your horn to a shop they would say it DOES matter when they check the valve alignment. :p

I believe they make synthetic "felts" that will not be affected by water. Not sure on that though.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Well I have just looked at my Getzens and they both have "rubber" top (external) pads in place of felt, but strangely enough my marching band horn has proper felt - but new. (Remember you have internal AND external felts).

The valves don't bang down, or recoil, as loudly and the holes in the valves tend to line up properly to their design orientation when the felts are good.

Of course, it is the player not the horn, but you do best with the horn in good maintenance order. I can only offer my opinion and limited experience, and trust that you might find this useful.

6. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    My outer felts are rubber, and felt on the inside.

I've never had them destroyed by rain, but I've never had it in a total downpour.

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    well considering the age of my horn i dont believe it has rubber felts, but my band director always when it rains has all the brass keep there instruments during practice, and considering he just got brand new silver plated baritones, mellowphones, and tubas he must not think the toll is that bad on the instruments but yet again my trumpets felts are pretty destroyed so i guess it might be wise to replace them

8. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Rubber felts are just a piece of rubber in the shape of an "o" where the felt on the outside usually is.

My horn is 15 years old, and has them, I don't know exactly when they started coming into popularity.

9. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    my aristocrat is from 1975ish and its felts are all natural, however; i think two years ago when i took it in for its yearly big clean/acid/maintenance check my music store replaced them after they notified me my valves were pealing....

10. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    How does a valve peel??? Do they mean to say that your nickle silver plateing is peeling or delaminating from the base material?????