i just did a big self cleaning job and all i can say is WOW

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Feb 1, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    i believe the valve peeling is the metal is corroding in the actual valve and the valve casings are starting to corrode, when i clean them little pieces of metal sometimes come out, and the corrosion has eaten away at one of my valves which actually had to be replaced, lastly when the water key is emptied there is little bits of metal tht occasionly come out as well, my trumpet is pretty much finished

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    There is a lot of bacteria by the bathtub drain. There is also cleanser and chlorine residue existing if you wash your bath tub first before cleaning your trumpet.

I became tired of this, as my back grew sore all the time from kneeling and leaning over the tub.

I found a five dollar clear plastic storage bin that is the right size and fill it on the counter by the kitchen sink. It's a dedicated tub. When dry I store all my horn maintenance gear in it that no longer clutters my case.

I'm thinking I might bore a hole in in and fit a stopper/plug to drain the water into the sink a little easier. It's awkward pouring it out from the top.

3. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Synthetic felts !!!! Forget about water, oil, and falling apart !!

Hoghorn

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    That's a great idea - what about the screw in plug and receptacles used to drain the bilges in boats? :thumbsup:

5. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    And a heating element with thermostate.
    37 C for laquered horns, and 65 C for silverplated horns.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    It's hard enough for me to be serious without this sort of inspired silliness.

:-):DROFL:laughwave:

7. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    [​IMG]

8. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Just dunk it in your aquarium and let the zebra danios swim through it for an hour or two. This always cleans it right up. Here's a tip if your going to do this, always count your fish before and AFTER you pull your trumpet out!!!
    You might blow out a dead one the next day, and oboe players don't appreciate that.

9. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Anthony,

Go to the thread about "Ultrasonic damage?" dated 5/7/09. You will find a wealth of information, plus some other "interesting editorial" comments.

10. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    My music teacher told me to soak the valves in vinegar for a half hour, not getting the felts wet. Is this a bad idea?