I just don't get it...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by katrin4p, Oct 23, 2007.

1. katrin4p

katrin4p New Friend

Oct 5, 2007
    *removed by user*

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Ana, it happens. The very same thing to many but maybe on a different level. Give it time. Keep at it! I'm 2 years into my comeback to the horn, and things are much better, and there is a FAR way yet to go.

Play duets. Make some music with some friends.

3. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    I think the word your looking for is slide or tuning slide.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ana,
    we have all been there, where pressure or an uninspiring attitude takes away the joy of playing or leads to a bad day! In the security of our own home, we can relax and everything is OK again.

As teachers are also human, you need to determine if your trumpet teacher just had a bad day, or if future lessons will remain "non-productive". When you are learning to play, a combination of inspiration AND pressure is what makes you try harder. A teacher that does not apply both (in the proper proportions!), will not get good results.

I suggest you have a meeting with the teacher and your parents to find out what to expect in the future. THAT will determine the need to work harder or find a new teacher.

The VALVES are the 3 buttons that you push down to play different notes. To tune (or clean) the trumpet, you pull on the SLIDES.

If the band horn is SO BAD, you need to solve that problem. If it is just cleaning and oiling, I am sure you can find somebody to help you. I give my students classes in taking the trumpet apart and cleaning it. Maybe you can arrange for the same? If it is just a miserable instrument, you need to find a way to start using your personal one more.

Making music should be FUN.
    Good Luck!

5. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    Use your own trumpet. You will just have to get used to carrying it to your rehearsal. Just be happy you don't play a larger instrument.

6. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Yes, I would use your own horn if at all possible. Don't worry about the language, we will figure it out.

7. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    If the teacher's an ass, ditch the ass :)