I just don't get it

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetgeek142, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Trumpetgeek142

Trumpetgeek142 New Friend

Oct 20, 2008
    Well, I just started freshman year, and it was a little confusing. Band was my safe haven. I've been a trumpeter since the 3rd grade. At first I thought we would be grouped by how we played. To my dismay, I was automatically placed into the 3rd trumpets. At first I thought, woah, the music at this school is going to be hard, but as soon as I saw it, I realized this was below my usual playing level.

I talked to the band director, and he said "don't worry about it. There will be seating auditions next week". I took my seating auditons, I got a 47 out of 50. The next day we are seated and I am in the 2nd trumpets. I was a little disapointed, so I went to my teacher again. He said that all of the first trumpets had to be juniors and seniors. I was again, disapointed, because some of the juniors and seniors were first year players, but I perservered.

The very next day I came into the band room and realized, another addition to the first trumpets was a freshman. I went to this unnamed person and asked him how he had acuired his first trumpet music. He responded "I don't know, My uncle(the band teacher) just gave it to me". That's when I realized My teacher was picking favorites. I next asked him to show me his score on the seating auditions. he showed me and he got, god help me, a 23 out of 50.

I've been playing like this for a few weeks now, and I've been contomplating dropping band. I don't want to do this but I can't stand to watch my teacher give this student the soft treatment when he hits the notes too low. I've talked to other people and they don't seem to have the same problem. Am I going crazy? Someone help.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Play the parts assigned you, be humble, but helpful to the others around you, and become the lead 2nd trumpet. Play the best you can and demonstrate leadership while not griping about the director or his choices. That will get you the seat you want, but it will take patience. This is a lesson which will carry you far in life, and serve you well if you become a music professional.

Away from band practice the most challenging music you can find and push yourself to improve. Work at it and you will excel. It isn't about everyone else (director, other trumpet players, nephews). Only YOU can do it. It is between you and your trumpet and the music.

I hope you have a trumpet teacher other than the band director. If not, maybe you should find one.

3. claminator

claminator New Friend

Jun 18, 2008
    Great advice thus far!
    Can you make an opportunity out of this rather than complaning?
    I have taught a lot at the college lvl and my students complain that they are tired when they start to practice. "I play too much in Band and Orchestra"
    Use this to your advantage! stop complaining and go practice.

Claminator

Schwab likes this.
  4. Alan Dismukes

Alan Dismukes Piano User

Oct 16, 2007
    Alabama
    Life is often unfair. Don't let it spoil your love of band and playing the trumpet. Follow the advice given above and keep playing!

5. omelet

omelet Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2007
    charleston, sc
    It is unfortunate that this is the case, but I doubt your director will change his mind no matter how much you complain. Would you even want him to just because of a complaint? He has already made the choice he wanted. Your abilities will most likely be recognized for waht they are...eventually. Or perhaps they have been, and he just wants strong players on all the parts (or you are delusional ;)). If you enjoy music, do not quit, but rather, play your part as perfectly as possible.

6. jscahoy

jscahoy New Friend

Oct 10, 2007
    I guess I was lucky to have had a director who assigned seats solely on merit. Times have changed.

7. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    In high school the high notes parts were 1st trumpet, but the solos were often given to 2nd... So... might be a good thing. But I agree this method of assigning parts is kind of unfair. But band is not a democracy... it's a dictatorship.

8. Tootler

Tootler New Friend

Oct 10, 2008
    Ottawa
    I suspect more than a few of us have similar stories. My high school teacher was a great guy and a very inspirational teacher. After 3 years under his wing, he sent me to a trumpet teacher because he felt I had so much more to give. I worked like a dog and was progressing well on 1st trumpet when out of the blue, a french horn player decided he'd rather play trumpet. From one day to the next, he was solo trumpet and I was devastated. I admit I let this gnaw at me for the rest of my high school years and it seriously eroded my enjoyment of music. I sure hope you don't let that happen to you.

Forty two years later, I'm still playing, still learning and have a completely different perspective on the whole event. I've also discovered that horn player has since earned a name for himself as a buffoon and an a** kisser in the music community of our mid sized city.

It might not look like it now but this will pass . I'm now playing 1st trumpet in a concert band and 3rd cornet in a brass band. I'm loving every minute of both experiences. In the long run. it's the music that counts.:D

9. TopGun

TopGun Pianissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    I have a similar story. Its the story of life in the real world. Just be happy you are in the band and young. Life will never be better. Never.

10. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Tootler: there's a brass band in Ottawa? Nice to know.