I Just posted some new videos - highly compressed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, Aug 3, 2007.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

I just posted to highly compressed video clips on my MySpace site. They will eventually be at NickDrozdoff.com, but in the meantime, I hope you can enjoy them here.

MySpace.com - www.myspace.com/nickdrozdoff

1.) Testing my new C trumpet with some excerpts
    OK, I am not a serious legit player, but I do quite a few legit gigs, in any case, and I need to keep up. I use a C trumpet on those gigs, and playing C trumpet, as you all know, requries a different sense of center to the pitch on the horn.

I was working on getting used to my new axe, and I decided to videotape the process and post it, just for fun and sharing.

2.) Basement Blowage

This is an ACID jazz sort of tune I did to demonstrate my overdub process to my students. I posted it here till I get it up at nickdrozdoff.com

Please, just enjoy them, for what they are - just a trumpeter sharing with some friends.

Peace.

Nick Drozdoff

2. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    cool stuff man

3. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    Just wanted to chime in... the videos look good and sound good, Nick. Those horns sure record well!

Anyway...this is just the beginning of a new internet presence for you. Wishing you success....

4. NickD

NickD Forte User

Thanks, Brad! I've been toying with putting a face with the music for some time. My web guy (Joe Auty) has sent me some samples of the Mp4's he's making. They'll look pretty nice compared to the stuff I had on MySpace.

I love the sound of the NYTC horns. I'm not really a legit player in any serious way, but I particularly like the sound of the C (it's a given I love the sound of my California Light Bb). I only play a little bit of C trumpet as a Chicago are free-lancer, so I need something I can just pick up and have it feel familiar.

Now, on the video of did of some testing of the new C, I had the slide pulled too far. Everything is a bit under pitch. Oh well... The horns does record well, and I'm going to make two little recordings (with video) next Monday both using the California C trumpet. I'm planning on the Leopold Mozart (transcribed down in pitch) and the Badinage by Bozza. I did some practicing of these before I went on my short family vacation (I'm in Door County right now!), and they feel great on that axe.

I realize that, in the age of the "vanity driven" culture we are subjected to, that these little videos may, in some ways, do me a disservice. Shoot, I'm in my fifties and I'm not a skinny kid anymore (go check out some of the old MF pics on my nickdrozdoff.com site!). However, this is real stuff - the real me really playing, and that is what I want to share. I look at these things as cyber recitals. I plan on doing lots of them and rotating them on MySpace and posting the best of them on nickdrozdoff.com.

I really enjoy Trent's video clips on YouTube, but I can't take the comments. Most are off the charts positive (I think Trent is a monster - one of the best), but every now and then some clown gets in there and says something really stupid. This is why I'm not posting on YouTube to share and spread the word. It looks like you have to accept those comments, and I'm not interested in taking the abuse! Folks are welcome to like or dislike my work. I just don't want to hear from those people who just say silly stuff, often laced with ad hominem attacks (Bobby Shew took some heat - undeserved!!) who just want to tick folks off - trolls.

Now, if I could arrange it so that comments are not accpeted on YouTube, I might do it. But for now, I like MySpace and my perosnal site.

Back to the family time in Door County!

Peace, all!

Nick

5. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    Well, I just figured that - tying all this in with the online lessons, and given your teaching background - that all the videos were "really" more coming from an educational standpoint, rather than a "hey, look at me".

You may have said this in a previous post somewhere...but what mic did you use to record these?

6. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Think 10 years from now. I bet "cyber recitals" will be more prevalent for adult hobbyist students too. Maybe circulating amongst friends.

I very much enjoy, Nick, getting a chance to see and hear your playing. Which I would never be able to short of traveling to Chicago.

7. NickD

NickD Forte User

Just a quick reply, and then its back to family time.

First, thanks, Richard. Jobbing can be a bit thankless, but at least this sort of thing allows us to share some real music.

As to the educational nature of things, yup, that's where I am also going.

More to follow.

Finally, I used an AKG C414 condensor mic into a tubepre and then into my interface.

That's it for now.

Nick