I just re-discovered Rich Willey's playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, Jan 11, 2011.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

OK, I have a couple of his duet books (a must have for trumpet teachers and students), but I have not been real familiar with Rich's playing beyond his stellar contribution to the Big Phat Contest a couple of years ago. Recently as a result of my scrounging around about some stuff on the internet, I bumped into his Youtube page. Here's a link to his Night In Tunisia offering:

YouTube - Night In Tunisia Clip

Check his other stuff out, too! VERY nice work!

Here's his website if you haven't spotted his books yet!
    http://boptismpublishing.stores.yahoo.net/

I'm sorry it took me so long to find this!

There are some many fine trumpeters out there! It gives us ALL hope!

Nick

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  2. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Yo Nick,

Rich tears it up. He was in the Tampa Bay area for quite a while and I had the pleasure of playing with him on many occasions. He was mostly playing bass trumpet at the time. His bop chops are impeccable and he could do some great tailgate (did a dixieland gig with him) on the b. trumpet. It was always a pleasure with his great playing and ascerbic wit.

3. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    In the early 90's I studied with Rich in NYC. Back then he was playing only the bass trumpet because he had some serious chop issues......he could not play my trumpet without being in pain for more than one minute.

Within a couple of years he overcame those issues to play with Maynard and sound the way he does today. He is a great inspiration to me!

Check out all his books. They will address your chops and your jazz playing as well as anything on the market today. Nowadays I basically study out of his books exclusively.

4. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Wow, good stuff. Thanks Nick!