I just recorded myself. YUCCH

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    I set up the recording on my computer to see if I could tell the difference in tone of my two horns. I was very disappointed in my "performance".
    When I practice, I know I make mistakes but I hear FAR more errors when listening to the recording. I don't know my instructor can stand it:-(
    I may be too early in my attempts at recording but I am really surprised.:thumbdown:

2. poetofsound

poetofsound Pianissimo User

Jan 4, 2009
    California
    May I ask what recording setup you are using?

Also, recording is a very organic way to critique your playing. I do it often to see how I have changed as a player as the years go by.

3. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    It is called "sound recorder" on Windows XP. I have a desk mic from Radio Shack. I also use this mic with my ham radio setup on my computer. The sound is good, just the playing that stinks. What do you mean by organic sound?
    Bruce

4. poetofsound

Jan 4, 2009
    California
    Not organic sound, but organic way to listen to that sound. Sometimes what you hear when you're practicing isn't what is truly being played. I often catch tons more mistakes in my records than in my normal practice sessions.

5. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    I record myself almost every day and listen to it in the car while stuck in traffic or during my practice sessions. It is one of the best ways to efficiently practice. You will learn many different things about what you are doing right, and wrong. Sometimes you just need to know how bad you actually sound :-P

6. poetofsound

Jan 4, 2009
    California
    Exactly my point :D It's like having a second pair of ears, but those ears are still yours and without the ego while your playing

7. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    What ego? haha

8. poetofsound

Jan 4, 2009
    California
    The little voice in your head that says "man, those high notes sound phat!" ;-);-);-);-);-)

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    While recordings can be useful tools, most players I work with do not benefit at all. Why? They start playing for the mic. Every note more "careful" than the previous one. That type of controlled instance is directly contrary with the spontaneous wild abandon approach that I like to use.
    Granted, it is possible to fine tune a performance this way. I would not suggest regularly recording until you have 85-95% of a piece under your belt.

Practice sessions should free us of the things that limit our playing. Our ears should be paying attention and we need to correct and reinforce immediately.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My trumpet teacher, Gerald Webster, used to have a reel-to-reel recorder in his studio, and he would record us, then play back at half-speed. While it might be considered "cruel and unusual punishment," it did get us used to critical listening (to ourselves) in real time.