I just saw a man die...

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by trumpet blower88, Jan 6, 2006.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    We were comming back from my grandparents house up in Mesa, we were waiting at the intersection of Mesa Drive and Southern. A guy on a motorcycle pulled up and was turning right on a red light, I guess he didn't see the car comming in the same lane he was turning into, and I guess the car didn't see him either....

I've known 5 people who have died on motorcycles, and know of another 3 (i didn't know them personaly). This makes 9 total...

If any of you choose to ride motorcycles, please... be careful. One careless move can cost you your life, one accident, one life. I don't care how "fun" some of you think it may be to ride motorcycles, it's not worth loosing your life over.

This was only an accident, technicaly the driver of the motorcycle was at fault because he turned on the red light, but that move isn't illiegal. Motorcycles are just to hard to see, especialy at night, and there is absoulutly no protection if you get hit. The helmet didn't even come close to saving this mans life...

With the past that I have seen, if you ride a motorcycle often, its not a matter of if you're going to die on it, but when you're going to die on it...

2. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    That's awful. I'm sorry that you had to see that.

I've always liked motorcycles...but, I don't think I'd ever ride one because of some of the crashes I've seen.

God bless that guy, and any of you who have motorcycles...please be careful.

Lara

3. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I've owned 4 and dropped 3 of them. A few years ago when I wanted another one my wife bought me a sports car and said "put the top down and let the wind blow in your face -- but do it with 4 wheels, not 2."

What you saw had to have effected you. Remember that it is okay to find a freind, priest, teacher, or someone to share your feelings with about this. It may come back to haunt you in the future. Good luck, and my sympathy to the family who lost the rider.

4. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    Another thing is all motercyclists need to wear their helmet.

Have any of you seen the clip of the cantalope and the brick wall? They throw a cantalope into a brick wall with and without a helmet. With the cantalope comes out in pretty good shape, without the helmet.... well let's just say the custodian had a project on his hands.

I have lost track of motercyclists I have seen without a helmet, they seem to be the majority here. Most don't

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    The Harley riders seem to be the anti-helmet culprits (they are all over here as well). Now, those guys with the fast bikes, they usually have helmets and leathers. It is still a risky endeavor, but lots of fun if you are careful. I even rode dirt bikes when I was in high school. My feet couldn't touch the ground (it was a Kawasaki GPZ350 WAAAAAAAY back when) and my friends would have to catch me when I came to a stop and hold the bike up so I could jump off. I am too much of a wuss to do that now, but boy it was fun! I REALLY like wave runners - which are motorcycles in the water. If you can get one on a glassy surface and run it full throttle across the water - it is exhilirating! (doing endless donuts is fun too....hee, hee)

I have seen several accidents involving bikes and one was up-close and personal like you witnessed TB88. I was in rush-hour traffic and right beside me a bike hit the back of a car and flipped completely over it. The man survived, but the bike was toast. I remember being horrified seeing this guy flying through the air. Brrrrrr.....still gives me chills. Yes, it is risky and I think that is why most folks use one as a weekend or fun form of transportation and not every day (cuts down on the odds of an accident at least).

6. Mr. Semman

Mr. Semman Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    Being a retired police officer, I can easily say that I have seen my share of miracles and deaths. One such incident was when a motorcyclist was making a U-turn at a turn around point on a divided highway, late at night. An elderly woman driving in the opposite direction did not see him and struck him. The motorcyclist's leg got caught on the front bumper of the car and was ripped off. After having to untangle the leg and remove it from the bumper, I had to carry the leg into the hospital. It was quite heavy. While the doctors could not re-attach the leg, the motorcyclist did survive and left the hospital the following week.

While the horrors that we have seen stay with us for the rest of our lives, we learn to live with those memories, realizing our own mortality and to love our families and loved ones all the more.

Gary Lapine

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I believe that this year Michigan will also allow bikers to ride without helmets.
    The anti-helmet guys lobbied long and hard for this right.

on a lighter note...(which will get me in trouble...again)

What's the difference between a Harley Davidson and a Hoover?

The position of the dirt bag.

-cw-

8. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA

9. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Seen on the back of a jacket worn by a Harley driver:

"If you can read this, the b*tch fell off."

Seen on the back of the jacket worn by a leather-clad cutie:

"I'm the b*tch that fell off."

10. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    If I thought that way I'd never be able to ride again. Thanks for your thoughts though, and I will be careful. I don't ever see myself giving up the biking bug. I'm in love with 2 wheel Italian machinery! 30+ yars, so far...