I just want to be a trumpet player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetgirl612, Jan 5, 2006.

1. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    I went back to Dillon's today, to try and buy a case to replace the one with the broken zipper. And some guy said "aww look, that's a gorgeous girl right there, and a trumpet player to boot, I'd love to play alongside her" This, among other things made me realize something, I dont LIKE being seen as that chick who plays trumpet. It's like I am a girl and i play this instrument, and no matter how attractive i may be, or how talented I may be, I will never be viewed as a trumpet player. No, rather I will continuously be viewed as just another pretty face in the trumpet playing world. I thought about the fact that, yes, I like all of you guys here, but I feel like too many of you have judged me without truly knowing me... I am a trumpet player first and a girl second. What that man said today about wanting to play along side of me was ridiculous. He had never seen me before, nor had he ever heard me play. He had based this assumption on my looks. I admit, the attention from you guys is nice...through school i was always either one of anf guys, and therefore nothing to look at, or a body...nothing more. Nevertheless, i was never a trumpet player, rather the girl trumpet player. I truly hate that feeling. It's almost like I wouldnt need to play well at al to get anywhere, just a low cut shirt. To be honest, I am simply awful. I can practice til I am blue in the face, and it probably wouldn't help much, there are so many problems with my playing, and I do too much wrong to fix all at once. And yet, I have never been seated last or anything. Its truly frustrating, especially becuase people expect less, and therefore work with me less, and therefore I never learn anything new, or improve much, becuase to them, I am a pretty chick trumpet player...not some guy that has to fight his way through the tpt playing world. In some ways, it is harder being a girl...a lot of people don't feel you belong, guys are dirty and chauvinistic, and they see you a weak and fraglie among other things. Yet, at the very same time, you will never be seen as a trumpet player, but rather as a girl. Thanks for reading, I feel a little better now, though I wish i would be able someday, to truly be a trumpet player first, and a female second.

2. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    You could start by eliminating this from your posts.

trumpet players, the masters of fingering, tonguing and blowing.....

3. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    This sounds like a good spot for Dr. Alex....

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Good advice.

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003

Picking up a copy of Strunk and White would also help.

6. dow30

dow30 Piano User

Apr 26, 2005
    NY
    If you view yourself as a trumpet player, you will be a trumpet player. Do not waste your energy trying to convince those who refuse to recognize your talent as a musician because you are female. This is enegy to be used perfecting your craft. If someone is mature and confident enough to recognize talent, they will, those who do not, are probably not worth trying to convince anyway. It will not be easy however, it is not easy for anyone, male or female. It has to come from, YOU, first. If you do not show that you want to be treated as a respected player, you will not.
    I do not play trumpet by profession, but I know very well about making it in "A Man's World" . In 1980 I rode my first race as a professional jockey at Belmont Park. This is after a veteran horse trainer told me"you're a very nice little girl but you'll never ride race horses, and this was just to exercise them, not even ride races. Well I have riden in NY, NJ, Maryland and Fla as a professional jockey and won races despite being told many times, you're a very nice little girl, but........

I agree with Billy B, you can start by losing the "trumpet players, the masters of fingering, tonguing and blowing..... " in your posts.

And, although the "female thing" will be somewhat of an obsticle that you will have to overcome, trust me, people don't really want to hear it.

Don't mean to be blunt, but I'm speaking from personal expierence. Just worry about, YOU perfecting your skills and obtaining your goals. The given is, you must of course, have the talent.

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Oy vey! Where do I begin? I really don't want to touch this one. My experiences do not gel with hers AT ALL, honestly. I was always a good player - from day one. I was a freak occurence. My playing always spoke for me. It didn't get nasty until I was seen as taking work away from someone more desevering only because they were "male". Competition is normal for any field and any job.

Also, don't wear low cut shirts or tight clothes if you don't want that kind of attention.

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Yeah, never worked for me neither. :-(

BUT! (on the bright side) Tom Jones seems to have done pretty well with that wardrobe!

9. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    thanks
    but trsut me, i dont dress provacatively,
    and i was always a good player, I just know that there are a lot of things that could use some fixing, i've taken away parts from people several times
    but that is not my point
    my point is, I am not viewed as a musician, let alone a serious one...rather I am viewed as a girl...and i do not like that...not one bit
    but thanks

10. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Owwww! My stomach hurts! ROFL