I just want to be a trumpet player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetgirl612, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Emily,

I can certainly relate to your situation. I always knew that I was a good player and excelled in marching band and drum corps. When I was a Senior in High School I attended Interlochen Arts Academy for 6 weeks as an exchange student. Man, talk about feeling like an outsider! This was the first time in my life that I really didn’t fit in (these were serious musicians and outstanding players even in high school). I worked really hard to keep up in all of the ensembles there, but I was always just “that guy from Arizonaâ€. It was a wake up call for me.

When I was in college, I was “the engineer†that played in most of the top ensembles. Everyone else was an education major (and a couple of performance majors) and I didn’t really get to know anyone all that well because we didn’t have any other classes together. They knew I could play, but I was never really a part of that general community. In my engineering crowd, I was always “the band geekâ€. I had some good friends in engineering, but I was always (again) on the outside looking in.

When I accepted my first job in Phoenix, I realized that to fit in to the trumpet community in the Valley I would need to work exceptionally hard. With the Hickman studio in my backyard I really had to bust my butt to raise my overall level. I was always “the engineer†amongst a sea of “prosâ€, “grad studentsâ€, and “band directorsâ€. “There’s the engineer that’s a pretty good player!â€

I eventually decided that I needed to put all of my energy into finding the sound that I heard in the best players that I had been in ensembles with. Over the last several years I feel like I’m finally just “the trumpet player†when I show up to play. That’s a really good feeling, but it’s taken a really long time for me to get there.

I can certainly relate. Hang in there. If you want to be a trumpet player badly enough, you will find your way to make it happen. Just keep your focus where it needs to be.

2. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    If you can play, I don't care if you are male, female, animal, mineral, or vegetable. There are tons of women who are making a good living in music. You're going to have to bust your ass in any event, to make it. If these comments are that distracting, you've got bigger fish to fry.

Next time a guy comes out with a line like that, pull the horn out of the case and show him what "the pretty little girlie" can do.

J

3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    my wife is a very good player and a very good looking to boot. she has faced this same problem all of her life, even from her high school band director [girls did not belong on the trumpet and refused to let her play lead, he had her show the 1st player how to play all the solos]. she played Hayden's Trumpet Concerto in the 6th grade and progressed from there [she started playing when she was 5]. every band she played in she had to prove her self and that got old real fast. it is simply wrong that she can't be viewed as just another trumpet player but as a female trumpet player. it seems like in about 85% of the other players the "male ego" seems to be threatened by a girl playing a man's instrument. just hang in there and try not to be one of the "guys", stay away from the "male bonding" humor and keep your respect. you have nothing to prove just be yourself and play to your best ability. Good Luck Dave

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Em,

There’s not a whole lot here that I can offer that hasn’t already been said, however my 2 cents are the following.

Manny most eloquently stated what my first thought was. Boys will be boys. Most of us are sexist pigs weather we admit it or not at your age or younger. I’m assuming you’re in your late teens or early 20’s.

At that age although I always respected woman, I viewed most of you as I would the ladies found in the centerfold of a gentleman’s magazine. Sorry my fellow males, just being honest. :D :dontknow:

So this encapsulates what Alex has said to you, get used to it as it never goes away. I played in an all male Trumpet section all through Jr. High and High School. So I don’t know what it’s like to play in a section where woman are present and in your peer group. I did play in a drum and bugle corps where we had a Female soprano bugle player but she was kind of a tough girl who looked as though she could kick just about anyone’s butt so we didn’t think that way about her. In most of my experiences Females were Clarinet or Flute players.

Now I’m a 37 year old and I still get my head turned by a pretty face, I just do my damnedest to not let my wife notice or the next two weeks of my life are hell, however I no longer respond . I’d like to think that with most of us men folk as we age we learn how to control that. I see talent more now then ever. As you grow, spiritually, mentally, and physically you too will see things much differently then you do now. You’d do well to listen to what Alex has to say, she’s a wonderful human being who I’m sure will not mislead you.

I know that you’re in the process of addressing this but I echo what others have said. In order for you to be viewed as a trumpet player and not a “girl†you will need to make certain that you dress conservatively and that you project professionalism in all that you do. Your quote line will definitely need to go, and I know that you’re addressing this. I tell my daughter all the time, “If you dress like Halloween the ghouls will try to get into your pants.†So she understands that as a female you must make certain that you don’t attract the type of attention that you don’t want. It seems almost unfair; however it is what it is!

As for the boys, I’m with MrClean on that one. Pull out your Trumpet and light em up. I always sat first chair and was somewhat arrogant in my youth, but if ever anyone beat me out for my seat they earned my respect immediately. With a female it would have been different, we boys don’t like being beat by girls, so I would have had to live with constant razzing from my peer group and in the circles I was hanging in I’d have just had to throw myself off the roof of a building; that was in 1981 for what’s it’s worth. However my respect would have been earned 10 fold.

So to encapsulate here’s what I’m saying, just learn to ignore the boys. Eventually they will become men, and for those who don’t they can be easily dismissed by either ignoring them or delivering a healthy shot to their ego by outplaying them. You already have earned my respect by virtue of the fact that you are “in practice room 5†I choose a different path and crapped all over my early musical talent so to you I say Bravo! Now Play on!

My 2 cents for what its worth! :dontknow:

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    If you are already signed in, you should be able to change your sig without typing in the pass word. Did you really try to change it?

One question for you: Why do you continue to make flirtatious comments on the TH copy of this thread? It is hard to garner sympathy or support when you engage in the very behavior you supposedly hold in contempt.

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    It was a real treat to hear her give a recital a few years back, anyone that thinks women can not measure up to men need to get an education about her playing.

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    dizforprez wrote:
    I agree completely.
    You can'y write the things you write other places and then start this thread without having people say "What???!!!"

You also know that you can change your signature anytine...no password needed. Just go to your profile...but you know that already
    C'mon Emily, change your signature. and let's be honest in here...there ARE those who read and remember things that are written.

ps
    You will not have ANY credibility while telling us you're a master of fingering, tonguing and blowing.
    -cw-

8. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Agreed! It seems that nearly all of her post on TH are nothing more than teenage chat room flirting. If you want to be taken seriously, take yourself seriously by putting thought and effort into your post. Stop making racy comments and really read( think about) what people are telling you.

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA

10. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Yes, I do have to agree.