I just Wanted to Say

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Still Trying, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    A few months ago, I was fortunate enough to win the Eclipse trumpet that Leigh McKinney so kindly offered as a prize in his contest. I've logged several hundred hours of playing time on it by now, and I just wanted to say, blowing that trumpet may be about as close to heaven as a person can get on earth.

The sound is simply amazing, not to mention the response and intonation. Recently I was invited to join a community band in a neighboring town by an old trumpet playing buddy of mine. This fellow had heard about the Eclipse, but had never seen it or played one. He owns and plays a vintage Bach Strad and a Schilke. He played my Eclipse for about 15 seconds and got the most gorgeous sound he had ever gotten on a horn. He surely got the most beautiful sound I've ever heard him get on a horn, and I've spent many hours playing next to him. He isn't a pro, but he sat first chair at Texas Allstate his senior year in high school and went to college (U. of Texas I think) on a full trumpet scholarship. He's not a slouch by any means.

He started smiling too broadly to keep playing after just a few phrases and the first thing he said when the horn left his lips was, "Wow! I want one just like it!"

Words are just words. There is a limit to how much information one can share with just words. In order to really know what an Eclipse is all about, you really have to play one.

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Man,
    I love my Zeus but I sure would like to try an Eclipse or a Monette. I've been to both those websites. Leigh does amazing things with metalsmithing on the horns.

3. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Absolutely!

There seems to be quite a lot of hype about the Eclipse horns on these forums, and if I'm honest I was expecting to be disappointed when I actually played them ("How can anything be that much better?"). BUT I wasn't! These things are gorgeous, and I had a similar experience to your friend - getting the nicest sound I think I've ever produced on these.

Glad to see you're still loving that beautiful horn.

Jack.

4. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    I know exactly how you feel "Still Trying" ....when I ordered my Eclipse Special Edition with Leigh last year without even trying one, I had some reservations, but the horn just becomes more and more a part of you the more you play it. I simply love it. Words cannot describe the feelings I get from playing it. Certainly I am going to make a provision for it in my will ....probably to be given to an up and coming trumpet player, as no one in my family is following in my footsteps. However even at 66 I'm still playing it daily and enjoying it to the full. Very many thanks Leigh for your wonderful workmanship.