I just...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach219, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Well one day I finally had the time on my hands and went to the store and bought Zip-Strip and MAAS polish creme.

That same day I did a little patch, just to test it out. And left the horn alone for a few days. Then for about 3 days, a couple hours a day, I delaquer part by part. I used an old tooth brush and that did a way better job than a cloth.

It took me a total of 5 days to due it all. Although I could of done it in 3 or 4 days! But, just yestday I did the inside part of the bell, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and main slides. So they might be shinnier than the rest of the trumpet. But I can definatly see it change color! I got to say, that was a pretty hard task!!!

I ended up taking very close to 100% of laquer off!

All of these pictures are during and after the delaquering...

Under my leadpipe their are these corrosion dots. How did I get them? And how would I get rid of them?

Attached Files:

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    There's an easier way to strip the lacquer off your trumpet. Ferree's sells a Cold Strip lacquer remover. get the brush on type. Brush it on with an old/cheap paint brush, wait 6 minutes and rinse off with water. I've used it on 3 of my horns.

If the spots you see on your leadpipe are acid rot, it's permanate. If it's bad, replace leadpipe. Tp prevent keep horn clean.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    oops!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  4. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    The acid rot isn't bad. But I was wondering, just in case it got worse. But yeah, that Cold Strip would of probably been better.

But from the pictures, how does the horn look? Just curious...

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    It looks very nice. have you tried any polish? I used SilverSmith's Copper polish on my horns. If you keep the leadpipe clean, it won't get any worse. I have a trumpet maintainance and cleaning paper I can send you.
    [email protected] Let me know.