I know I knew but didn't know how much it meant.....THE RIGHT HORN

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by motteatoj, May 28, 2014.

1. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I have learned so much here on TM, and I know intuitively, and, as discussed here so much, that the right horn/mpc for the right person is so key, making things easier, etc.
    But as an adult learner in year 2 of my playing/collecting/obsessing of all things trumpety, I really did not understand what the above really meant, until recently.

I buy horns that i like, mostly visually, but that have good reputations or historical interest to me.
    My main player has been my Yamaha 8310Z, a great horn.
    When i acquired my Super Artist, I loved it and understood the differences in the two, and found the Super Artist a bit easier to play as well.
    The Vocabell....welll....looks alone make it amazing, but its fun to play too, but different, and a bit more difficult for me.

And then the aha! moment.....The Selmer Armstrong Special.
    My instructor heard me play it and within a few bars said "I think you found your horn".
    My tech (Ivan) even commented on how well it plays (and he does not hand out horn compliments easily, LOL).
    I have played a limited number of horns, but even I knew this one was different.
    As I continue to practice and learn, i was stuck at barely being able to squeak out a G above the staff, E was even a struggle unless really warmed up well.
    After a month with the Selmer I am squeaking out high Cs, the G above the staff sounds great, and can be played without warmup.
    If you ever get your hands on one of these, try it.

This is great motivation and just fantastic personally because now i can play just about all the music i set out to play in my trumpeting hobby.
    So, it is so very true....the horn matters, soooooo much.

Which horn gave you all your "aha moment"? The one you knew was different and fit you best?

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Which horn gave you all your "aha moment"? the Severinsen (many years ago). Still the easiest player.

The one you knew was different...? the Wild Thing. A 21st century schizoid horn.

....and fit you best? the Yammie.

3. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    The Holton in my signature gave me the aha moment. That horn was made for me!

Kujo

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    There have been several that I really liked and felt good from the very beginning.
    Getzen Severinsen model
    Olds Super Franknhorn (had to come back and purchase)
    Leblanc Herriott model
    Bach Stradivarius (way back in the early days... patched but a PLAYER)
    Calicchio

Others that grew on me

Still others that I got rid of as fast as I could find a buyer

Congrats on finding "the horn"

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    My "aha horn" is my Conn 5A Victor...it just does everything well without any drawbacks. I was going to sell it after finding the 9A, but it just plays too well to get rid of. The 9A sounds sweeter, but seems to take just a bit more effort to play. I guess I'll be keeping both of them...:-)

As far as trumpets go, my old Bach Strad ML 43 is still about the best all-around horn I've played.

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    My "Aha...yessss" horn? My Ganter Custom rotary.
    My "That's it" horn? The Ganter V8

Thank you, Hermann. RIP.

7. Auburn Tiger

Auburn Tiger New Friend

Dec 7, 2013
    Auburn, AL
    The aha horn bach 37
    The horn that suits me most bach 37
    There's not much you can't do with a good 37 and I've found a jewel of one

8. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    AHA/"That's it!" horn? Conn 6B Victor (1978 Abilene) and Jupiter 1600? Roger Ingram (2011? Taiwan) - but keep in mind I was accustomed to the Yamaha 6310Z by that point, so that might have influenced my decision

Suits me most? Pretty much any mid-20th C. Conn or Yamaha

"Funnest" horn? UMI-Musica pocket trumpet (1996 KHS Jupiter, Taiwan)

Best overall? Yamaha 6310Z - it is the best-overall horn I have; flexible in multiple settings; excellent sound and projection

9. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    When I went to college I was told that I needed to bring a Bach trumpet or be prepared to buy a Bach before the second semester began. I worked all summer and saved my money and before school began I went to the local Bach dealer and spent the afternoon trying out horns. I honestly can't remember how many I played but I had found nothing that I liked, it was getting late and I was planning to go home and figure out what I was going to do. The salesman, who had coincidentally sold me my Recording while working at another shop, and had come to know me through clinics and concerts said he had one more horn he wanted me to try before I left. He handed me my 72 MLV and the moment I started to blow I knew this was the horn. After another 15 minutes I put it back in the case, carried it to the counter paid the man $416 (I still have the receipt) and walked out with the horn I still have today. As much as I love my Recording, it's that Bach that is the horn for me.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Every horn that I own is an "AHA!!!!!!!!" horn. In fact there is only one time in my life where the horn played me andt was SCREAMING "buy me" and I didn't do it. It was a german rotary built by AMREIN and I was a fool to let it get away.

To put this in perspective: I do not believe that one horn is enough. Each one needs a palette of colors complementary to the rest of the stable. When I play a horn, it isn't just the playability, it is also its ability to perform a function. I'll give you an example: when I play "german" symphonic music I need a rotary trumpet for the colors and dynamic characteristic. When I play An American in Paris, the rotary horn is like wearing flip flops to an Iron Man competition, a Tchaikowsky symphony needs yet a different balance than a Mozart opera. I am always maintaining practicing 4 or 5 horns for jobs coming up and they rotate according to the job. Even with natural trumpet jobs, it makes a big difference if you are playing principal or 1st.

So, my AHA can be given when I plug a hole - with a horn that gets real sticky when I pick it up............