I know I knew but didn't know how much it meant.....THE RIGHT HORN

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by motteatoj, May 28, 2014.

1. trumpetpastor

trumpetpastor New Friend

Aug 2, 2013
    Charlotte North Carolina
    Rowuk I learn from and appreciate everything I have read you post, but comments like this only promotes in me the N+1!!! So far my aha horn is a Carol Brass heavy Legend which I own and currently play and the other one that I could not afford, a gold plated pre-war French Besson.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Rev,
    N+1 is a wonderful thing if we turn it into an "art form". Just to have a pile of bells and valves makes no sense to me, but to get to the "soul" of the individual instruments and take note of the common and uncommon denominators, now that is fun. Just like I wouldn't play lead with my rotary trumpet, it does share some attributes with the horn that I do use for big band jazz. I know what they are and can leverage them in ways that make the experience special not just for me, but those around me. My trumpet students also play cornet, picc, natural trumpet - they use my horns until it is worth it for them to have their own.A-HA!

3. trumpetpastor

trumpetpastor New Friend

Aug 2, 2013
    Charlotte North Carolina
    If I lived in Germany, I would be one of your students

4. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I totally understand the "pallet" needs of most, but for me I am after one type of music and sound. I'm an adult learner with only 1.5 years under my belt, so I'm cool with only one type of music (even though my instructor insists on me learning something from all styles).

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi John,
    there are many aspects to N+1. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with collecting. There are two levels of that however: Playable/collectable and dustable.

If I were to get Polio or something, I would probably hang some horns on the wall. Currently that would be dangerous - all the horns get played and my wife would notice an empty space on the wall when I am out for a gig and find a "dustable" to fill it........

As far as the styles of playing go, most all of us are confronted with a wedding, concert band, bugle call where different objectives could be useful!

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Good post, Robin. I cleared out most all of my "dustables" a number of years ago and kept only the good-playing ones that I might need from time to time. I probably have a couple cornets I could cull, but in general, all my keepers have a use. A few trumpets in different keys, historic cornets for educational concerts, a mellow cornet for brass band, a brighter cornet for concert band, a mellow trumpet, a bright trumpet, a middle-of-the-road trumpet, a flugelhorn, and a nice bugle (field trumpet) for Taps.