I know it isn't the set up but I still like to ask..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Apr 2, 2013.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay this is just a short thing that happened the other night,
    So my wife and I go out to the local Acapulco Restaurant ... they always have a small walk around Mariachi group ( different ones each week). So while we are waiting to be seated Ihear the trumpet player playing really soft except for his occasional flurry. I will note I am no fan of that big vibratto. Still the guy is playing in tune and has this really big sound even when playing soft. As dinner progresses I realise I haven't heard a clam all night.. not a cracked note and it's obvious he has the volume control on his trumpet barely turned on. So they take a break and I just have to check out his set up. First he has to be in his 70's .. so as he walks by I ask him ... he doesn't speak much English but he is more than glad to show me his Getzen Severensen and enjoyed pointing out he was playing on a Bach 1b ... even took it out of his horn to show me ..what a stud.
    Now I know it isn't about the equipment but there is something to be said about the trumpet brotherhood and how we love talking about equipment and set ups... not to mention it pumped him up knowing that there was another trumpet player in the restaurant.
    Man I dig playing this instrument!

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I have been on both sides of encounters like that... the player and the listener. It brightens the evening for both. It is a brotherhood.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or for some of the women that frequent the site... a sisterhood. And when they connect with us... a sister/brotherhood...

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I love my TM family:wub:

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    It does lead to some interesting conversations:oops::cool::roll:

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    After trying to play a Mariachi gig with limited rehearsals, I have the utmost respect for those who can do it well. That stuff isn't easy, and it requires a completely different style than most of us are used to. I watched quite a bit of youtube mariachi clips in preparation for the gig, to get a feel for the vibrato and articulation. It was obvious that most of the other people in the band didn't...:cry:

Yeah, playing it on a 1B is definitely stud territory.

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I ran into the same guy, Mariachi band in Del Mar except he was in his 80s, and playing an Olds Recording. Same language barrier but he beamed when I asked if he liked his Olds....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013