I like playing on a 16c4 but my teacher tells me not to

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Advertise, Mar 6, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Will,
    it is not necessary to take lessons to figure a lot of stuff out. I am well aware of the difference between good lessons, marginal and no lessons.

In this case, the thread owner quoted the reason for not using a big mouthpiece as it being too early into the building process. I consider this to be sound advice. The 16C4 is much bigger and the teacher can judge if the player is practicing enough. A good indication that this is NOT the case is the claim that the high range is "thousands of times" easier. This is NEVER the case when a player is in reasonable shape. It is also not the case when a player is in bad shape.

So to get back to the truth: if the poster describes the impossible, how good can the advice be to fix that? If the goal is just to reinforce the myth, fine - just not with me. If the goal is to do the right thing, I will stick with my internet guesstimate. I have taught enough students in the last 35 years to have the odds be on my side.

Very often the best lesson in life is the indication that reception is better than transmission. It is really tough to try and explain something to a person that already has their mind made up especially someone with little or no experience to back up their premise.

The biggest help is to face the truth. That truth is that the 3c is a bit smaller and provides better results when not practicing enough. With proper chop development, we only switch mouthpieces to change our tone. The range stays exactly the same!

2. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    But people who are still in high school have no choice, and I've seen you many times asking why people take lessons if they disagree that much with their teacher.

Ok, I'm done with this argument. No need to take it any further.

3. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    I think the most likely reason he'd want you to stay away from the 16c4 is that it has the fatter rim which will help prevent some of the pain/fatigue when you use too much pressure to play. The fatter rim also slightly limits your flexibility. I don't think that it's much bigger (if at all ) than a 3c so i doubt that's the issue.

I play a 15c4 about 1/2 the time and 1 1/2 c the rest. The 15c4 gets used when I want a slightly brighter more commercial sound and the 1 1/2c when I want a more classical rich sound.

I would think the difference between the 16c4 and the 3c should be minimal, but it sounds like your teacher is pointing you in the right direction, particularly if you're using too much pressure.

4. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    As someone with a drawerfull of mouthpieces, I can only add "You said it Brudda!!":cool:

5. Tootler

Tootler New Friend

Oct 10, 2008
    Ottawa
    Good day all;

Not being a "pro", I hesitate to add my observations but the advice I received from my high school teacher was to find a mouthpiece that worked and not to mess around with various sizes. I took that advice seriously enough to buy the actual mouthpiece I'd used all through high school and gave the band teacher a new 7 1/2C in return. This mouthpiece did the job for the next 37 years (42 years total)

When I bought my Xeno last October, it came with a 16C4...I noticed no difference at all in the feel. However, my sound and range did improve but I can trace that directly to the fact I am taking lessons again and practising more efficiently.

When all is said and done, I suspect the choice of mouthpiece is something so personal that it is going to be hard to give and receive definitive advice.

6. rhosch

rhosch New Friend

Feb 19, 2009
    I think you have to keep in mind that what mouthpiece "works" has to be viewed in the context of where and what you're playing. Few people find a single mouthpiece to give them the proper color for orchestra, solo, sudio, and lead work. And while I might mildly agree that changing mouthpieces does not change your range, I'm betting that for the average serious amateur player it certainly changes the "effective" range. I can hit the same note on a 1B as I can on a 10.5e, but if I was playing lead it would be useless to do it on the former because no one could hear it over the band. ;) Likewise, my maximum range isn't extended on the piccolo, but I can certainly play up there longer and with much more confidence, effectively bringing notes that I wouldn't attempt during a performance on a Bb into my comfort zone.