I love music.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mbtpter227, Feb 14, 2007.

1. mbtpter227

mbtpter227 New Friend

Feb 3, 2007
    So-Cal
    It's my passion, it's what gets me through life. Jazz band went very smoothly today and I was very happy with what was coming out of my horn, but most of all: I was having fun. Music should always be fun and should always be something you love, and sometimes people lose sight of that. I did, but now trumpet playing is a joy that couldn't be replaced. I hope that it stays that way for a long time.

Sorry for the the little rambling, I could probably go on and on about my love for music in general, but I needed to put my excessive feelings somewhere, and what better place than here!

:lol:

2. beartrumpet74

beartrumpet74 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Matt-
    "from so-co"
    nice post bro! Much needed around these parts and any parts that are detirmined to to discuss the details. the real details are how much you dig it. You can hear that in Manny's posts and in those of the other pros and part timers here! ( this is really a great place to be !)
    A few questions
    What is your favorite tune?
    Why?
    What would you do to it could you arrange it in any way you wished?
    What voice would you bring to it?
    What would you try to say with your music if you had the chance, and you have the chance every time you play?
    My best bro
    nice post - the true reason we all play!
    Peace
    Matt ( formerly of so co and point east and Far Far East! )

3. mbtpter227

mbtpter227 New Friend

Feb 3, 2007
    So-Cal
    Yo Matt!

What is your favorite tune? Why?
    What would you do to it could you arrange it in any way you wished?
    What voice would you bring to it?
    What would you try to say with your music if you had the chance, and you have the chance every time you play?

Ah good questions! And they're difficult to answer. My favorite pieces of music are truly special to me, because more than making me think 'that was a great piece of music!' they make me feel. The emotions felt get stronger with age, of course, as there are more memories to associate with those emotions. I'm only 16 (almost 17!), so I don't have much in the way of experience. Ah, I digress.. :lol:

My favorite classical piece of music is "Fantasion on a Theme" by Thomas Tallis. My recording is by the St. Louis Symphony. To me, it is so beautiful and touching and full of loss and emotion and wonder that ebbe and flow throughout the course of the work. Every time I listen to it my hairs stand on end. Ever see "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the Sea" ? This section of the movie really hit me.
    A runner up to this is "Ave Maria" by Luciano Pavarotti. All of his stuff makes me think of Florence and Rome. I will live in and travel Italy someday, I assure you.

My favorite contemporary piece is "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. I turn to this song whenever I am angry, confused, lost, or frustrated. It reminds me that everything will be alright, and in some way things will get better. Ultimate feel-better song.
    Runner up - "Better Together" by Jack Johnson.

Jazz - "Leap Frog" by Bird and Diz. I love how a whole conversation can by portrayed through a piece of music. Just by listening to this piece it inspires me to want to set up a jazz combo with some friends and just jam. I love how free and expressive jazz music can be.

I don't think that I would want to arrange any of these songs. I would just "arrange" the feelings and emotions they portray into the music I may (and possibly will) write and create. I have a long way to go in life so I still have a bunch of time to be inspired and moved to do different things. Music will always be there, of course. But in my music I would want to achieve the same feeling as Fantasion.

All of this inspires me to try out conducting. I watch the amazing conductors of times past and present, and a few of which I have been taught under, and it gives me this desire to have the opportunity to interpret notes written on a page.

Wouldn't that be awesome?