I Love the French Horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex_C, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I love the French Horn!

I love it because, since it exists, kids get handed an "F Horn" in high school and to suit their limited range, stuff in our C (Bb) like Schubert's Ave Maria, get transposed down to F, where I can play it. Yay!

Yeah I've really only been playing a month and a lifetime total of something like 3 months, but it's nice and slow. And is sounds SO COOL.

2. Rainiac

Rainiac New Friend

Apr 2, 2009
    Earth. For sure.
    That is sweet! I've always wanted to diversify my embouchure. I was always concerned it wouldn't be as cool as it sounds. How's it working out?

3. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Super to hear your progress! My primary instrument in school was the double horn (F & Bb) which I played all the way to allstate band. Now when I play my Conn 6D, I sound as though I am castrating an elephant with a butter knife. :shock: It just wouldn't come back.

4. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Oh no, I guess I didn't state it clearly enough, I'm not playing the Horn, I'm playing trumpet like always, just finding music transposed for the F Horn useful.

For instance, with Ave Maria, to play it as written, I have to start from the C in the staff and go up from there. Well, the C in the staff is just about the top of my range right now. But if I start from the F in the staff, that sounds fine and is within my range. so, I wanted to find music written in that range, and I found it. Turns out, highschoolers starting out on the Horn tend to have about the same range as a beginning trumpet player, and bingo, found Ave Maria all written, transposed down to F. Since I'm new and supposed to be reading the notes and you know, counting and stuff, this is good.

I really don't desire to learn the French horn, they're expensive, complicated, and hard to carry on a bicycle or on the bus. No, thanks. I just find the music written for 'em for beginner players useful.

5. Kayin

Kayin Pianissimo User

May 30, 2010
    I should club you with a Vento.

I'm only on trumpet because I lost a lot of the use of my arm. Trumpet exists to weed out the ones with bad range before they get to horn.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hey Alex,

French Horn would not be easy on a bicycle. I spent a summer once in Amsterdam and saw EVERYTHING being carried on a bicycle .... FH's, Tubas, Cellos, even an upright bass! (only once, and it was in a HARD case!!! can you imagine???)

Nice to be playing the trumpet, isn't it? :D

Turtle

7. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Oh, the Horn kicks butt, don't get me wrong. It's just that in my situation, well, I can't afford one, it's hard for me to transport one (get around by bicycle or bus and it's a 2 mile walk to the bus stop) and if I'm going to play anything at all, I need to get out busking as soon as practical. to afford lessons. I can go into a music or pawn shop or on Craig's List and get a workable trumpet for $200, try that with the Horn.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    ........... Horn kicks butt
    yup, that's the direction that it is pointed in!

............I was always concerned it wouldn't be as cool as it sounds.
    it isn't - the next post:............. I sound as though I am castrating an elephant with a butter knife.

.........Trumpet exists to weed out the ones with bad range before they get to horn
    Nope, Trumpet is a present from Gabriel in heaven. God intended us to play in the same direction that we look. Only cowards turn their backs on devastation!

French Horn would not be easy on a bicycle..........
    Check this out: Altieri Instrument Bags: French Horn Bags
    French Horn Screw Bell Conversion

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Those FH bags look helpful, even cool. Advertising at its best: "It is a pleasure to carry the French Horn bag, with its many curves, on your back." Possibly without the horn inside, but I've seen Concertgebouw musicians arriving at a concert with something like this on their back, on a bicycle, in the rain and wind. They didn't look happy. WHO said professional concert musicians don't engage in "physical labor" during their workday???

Turtle

10. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I was able to transport my Conn 6D strapped to the back of my Honda 125.