I love the internet...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by et_mike, Aug 19, 2008.

1. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    LMAO.... I thought you guys might get a kick out of this... With information like this available, I can see why we cut funding to the Arts in schools around the country.... :-?

How to Play the Trumpet - wikiHow

2. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    lol i actually had a read at this. Whats funny about it?

3. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    The information itself isn't really funny (other than if you read it and know nothing about trumpet playing they make it sound like you are going to be the Miles Davis by using there website)... but the fact that people are going out and buying a horn and trying to learn to play it through an internet website with no other instruction amuses me a little.

4. Trumpet Dad

Trumpet Dad Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2008
    New Jersey, USA
    I find it amusing how the author expects someone who has never played the trumpet to just pick it up and blow and expect to make a sound without tonguing or at least attempting to buzz the mouthpiece first. Oh, and then they are ready to learn their first scale:lol:. Maybe kids are smarter these days?:dontknow:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  5. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Maybe... wish I could find one or two of those kids in my area!! lol

6. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Umm,
    what?
    Valves, well, lower the pitch, so
    umm
    what?
    (1&2 should not be higher than open...)

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I don't think it is so far-fetched. DYI for just about anything is proliferating on the net, and no wonder, since it has become a first place to go for answers about almost anything. In my field, which just happens to be information technology, I use the net to find solutions to problems (hardware, software, systems methodology), word definitions (I hate to come off as ignorant about English), sources for materials, both hard goods and educational stuff, musical information (what key did so and so write a song in?, what are the words?, what chord is that in the 7th measure?, is that supposed to be a triplet or a dotted quarter/eighth?), medical questions (symptoms, treatment options), and the list goes on and on and on. There is almost nothing you can't investigate using the internet.

Considering the tremendous circulation the net has there is a huge chance to both make available and consume content on learning to play the trumpet. Maybe one in a thousand utiliizes such content and benefits from it. That could be a whole lot of people. It is curious that the wiki form of presentation appears to have no underlying profit motive, so if it is free what's the deal? A medium that is trending towards providing information at no cost seems almost un-American. Maybe it isn't the way to learn trumpet (a teacher and lessons are almost unanimously held to be the best method), but it certainly is a new paradigm (hate that word) for disseminating knowledge.

8. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    It's just that easy folks! :shock:

Well, I guess the advice isn't half bad, but it's harder than just that.

9. Trumpet Dad

Trumpet Dad Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2008
    New Jersey, USA
    I'm all for the internet. I use it all the time. There is just such a wealth of great information out there. Nick Drozdoff has some great tutorials on his site, so does Eric Bolvin and then there's Pops McLaughlin and countless others. It's just that the article veery715 was referring to did not do a very good job of explaining how to play the trumpet. Someone could easily get discouraged (thinking they should be able to play a one octave scale the first day) and give up all together.

Not sure about the trumpet, but here is a great video on playing the saxophone:thumbsup:

YouTube - Sesame Street - Put Down the Duckie

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  10. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Oh I see, your lips are supposed to go together like you're making the "mmmmmm" sound. Five years of saying "qqqqqqqqqqq" down the drain!