I love the Trumpet!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trjeam, Apr 10, 2006.

1. trjeam

trjeam Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    For the last two weeks I've been working real day jobs. One job is an office job and the other is construction...

These are two jobs that I don't like doing at all. One is boring and the other is demanding both physically and mentally.

After this experience it's really given me a new appreciation and motivation for wanting to do music for a living.

I've figured that if I can work my "you know what" off doing something that I hate, I can definitely work my **** doing something that I love.

Now whenever I practice or play a gig it's totally different. I feel so happy and excited about playing as oppose to before when I took these things for granted.

This experience has really been an eye opener for me...

Just thought I'd share my recent experience....

2. John Mohan

John Mohan Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2004
    Chicago
    Yes, throughout my playing career, anytime the B.S. level reached an extreme (as it does in any profession), I would just remind myself, "Hey, it sure beats working at McDonalds."

In the words of Adolph Herselth, "Practice your butt off!"

Best wishes,

John Mohan

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    This (having the eyes opened) can be true of any career. I remember my first "work term" as an engineering student: I had been having difficulty with some math stuff and was starting to question whether or not I should even be in Engineering.

During my first work term (a co-op school) I was; a) a blacksmith's assistant, and b) a production line "driller"; I had to stand at a gang drill pulling on a lever to drill multiple holes in steel pipe (that would eventually become animal stalls for large dairy barns). Grab a 4' piece of pipe off a cart, clamp it in a jig and pull the lever. Unclamp the pipe, put it on a different cart and get the next pipe (yawn).

I observed one guy who'd take his paycheck every Friday and run down to the local pool hall after work. He'd pay off his debts and proceed to funnel the rest of his money through the pinball machines (an ancient version of today's video slots). He'd lose all his money, borrow from his buddies for the next week and repeat.... over and over and over. (If you were really good and really lucky you could rack up a mess of "free games" and get the poolhall manager to "buy them back at cost". He wasn't good NOR lucky.

After 4 months of being dirty, bored out of my mind, and watching the mindless existences of those around me I determined that I was going to get through school come 'Heck' or High Water. Sometimes a little experience goes a very long way.

4. highbrass

highbrass Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2005
    Honolulu, HI
    I've experienced this as well. Five years ago, I was a band/orchestra teacher when I suddenly decided to enroll in library school and complete my masters in two years to become a librarian. Some of my friends thought I was nuts, but I had gone this route thinking/hoping that it would give me more time and opportunity to play as a freelancer. I just wanted to play more, and had started to sub on French horn in addition to trumpet at this point. Soon after, I had successfully auditioned for our symphony chorus and was fortunate that I was employed in a position where my voice wouldn't become hoarse everyday from speaking all day (projecting my voice over classes for 5 periods a day like I did when I was teaching band). Ironically, I still keep almost the same hours that I did as a band teacher (in school from 7:30-5:30 p.m.).

Although I would much rather state "musician" as my profession, I am content that my current job allows me to freelance on both instruments, sing, earn enough to support my favorite arts organizations and travel. No, I don't make a whole lot (what educator does?), but perhaps my contribution to society right now is to help our music organizations flourish/survive and to diversify my musical experience. And yes, as the subject line states, I do love the trumpet too. I think I have more appreciation for it as the years go by.

Liz :-)

5. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Sadly I'm at a point in my life with my current responsibliity load that music will never be a career choice for me :-(

But I can relate to what has been said in this thread and I agree.

Fortunately Music can still be a very soothing outlet for me, and it is.

As a matter of fact before to long I expect that I will be able to make a buck or two playing so that's supplemental income right?

Close enough for me! :D

Sigh.... Now back to being a data jockey!