I love the trumpet...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Wlfgng, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    Last night my roomate and her friends decided they needed to watch a movie at an unholy volume at the ungodly hour of 2:00 am.

I was a little po'd.

About a 1/2 hour after they shut it down for the night around 4:30 am, I decided it was a good time to practice.

Trumpet Voluntary by Purcell was the piece I decided to "practice". I was blowing on the horn like my life depended on it.

Man, do I love this instrument

2. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Well, revenge is a dish best served cold... or at least at very high volume around 4:30 in the morning! :evil:

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    A few years ago in Boston, I had a roommate who was an exchange student from the Royal Academy in London. On the first morning, we woke her up at at 6AM with a wonderfully improvised, triple forte snare drum and horn duet. She was frazzled, but understood that it was just another weird American custom, like driving on the right side of the road...

4. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    I love when i do that... my downstairs neighbor loves to blast his thumpin rap music at the most inoppurtune time, so when he does this i'll stand in the stairwell with my kanstul soprano bugle aimed right at his door as i play semper fi (minus the usual clear tone mute of course) as loud as i can. it usually only takes about ten minutes of my playing before he remembers i can go on for hours ROFL.

was funny friday night when we were playin poker and my friends were like "just call the police", and i told them not to bother, deal me out, and i'll be back in a minute... :play:

5. habitatchad

habitatchad Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2008
    Clinton, TN
    I have found bagpipe music to be a little more efficient at getting people to shut up than the trumpet. It came in real handy when i was an RA in college.

6. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    i've gotta get me a bagpipe...

7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Wlfgng,

I guess you showed your neighbor, ay?

I don't know if it was Confucius who said it or not, but I like the following quote:

"If thy neighbor offend thee, buy his child a drum."

I think your revenge must have been sweet!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

8. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    ^^^ THAT is awesome!

9. nickpasternack

nickpasternack Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    My friend decided one morning before school, it was a good time to catch some z's, so being the hospitable guy that i am, i let him sleep. Also being the hospitable guy that i am, i organized a wake up call. twenty members of the band. trumpets, trombones, euphoniums etc. we woke him to a wonderful rendition of 1812 overture. Needless to say, he was pissed, but later said it was the best version of the song we ever did:D. I guess it was good revenge for a high C in my ear whilst sleeping:play::evil:ROFL

10. siarr

siarr Pianissimo User

May 18, 2007
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    I'm reminded of my teen years as a camper at the Brevard (NC) Music Center, and some of the more interesting ways we would wake up the girls' cabin around 4AM...I seem to remember setting up a huge tam-tam one time, and on another occasion one of the louder trumpeters played reveille right outside their window (also at 3 or 4 AM). Musicians always make their own entertainment.

Cheers and thanks for the memories,

Chas