I love you!!!

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Manny Laureano, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
  2. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Awe! That's so cute!

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I'm getting all verklempt!!

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    "Verklempt"... now you are only the second person I've ever heard use that word. The first one used it in the context of "I'm all shook up".

Amazing. Is it a literal translation?

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    The context I know it in is Yiddish and it has to do with a vague state of emotion that makes one sad, happy, with tears welling, voice breaking... usually associated with Jewish mothers. It was made famous by Mike Myers (of SNL fame, not TM) playing the middle-aged Jewish mother hosting "Cawfee Tawk".

She'd start talking about an issue that put her on the verge of tears and state that she was getting "verklempt". At that point she'd bring up some non-sequitor political situation and ask the audience to discuss amongst themselves until she collected herself.

A priceless, now legendary, bit.

ML

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Thankee. And here I was thinking it was Dutch! :D

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Otie huh?

That's not Otis from "Milo and Otis" is it?

One of the great kids and adults movies.
    Thanks Manny

-cw-

8. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    YES!

I am one of those saps that is a total and complete sucker for a good kids movie and "Milo and Otis" is a great one. The late Dudley Moore showed his incomparable narrative ability in this flick.

You know, (heavy confession time) I never used to cry at kid movies until I had kids. I don't know why. Remember "I Am Sam"? Holy crap, I was a mess during that one. Even the damned Disney flicks... any of you fathers have the same experience where you changed that way after having kids?

ML

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yep!

Lots of things changed for me.

I quit drinking, (was only an occasional social drinker anyway)

I quit hunting, all of a sudden I couldn't shoot little animals anymore.
    ( Don't hurt my family though, I have NO problem shooting big dumb animals)

I watched kids movies and enjoyed them. A LOT!

-cw-

10. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    I'm the same way with kids movies. Friday is movie night at our house and it's really fun watching some of these "animal" movies. We watched "Homeward Bound" several weeks ago (the one with two dogs and a cat trying to make their way back to their "owners") and Michael J. Fox was the voice of one of the dogs. Man, when they were reunited with their specific kids after the exceptional ordeal I started getting really teary eyed. And when the old dog wasn’t coming over the hill like the other two and his boy said, "he was old…it was too far", and then the dog appeared limping over the hill. Wow! Tear city!

I know what you mean. This stuff makes you feel much different as a Dad. I have three boys (6, 5, and 2).

I’m looking forward to whatever is on tap for movie night tonight!