I must ask this difficult question of the members

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by roguemodel, May 12, 2012.

1. roguemodel

roguemodel New Friend

Jun 6, 2011
    You know, the man makes his living doing this and his charges are exceptionally reasonable, I have no desire for any refund or discount. I have a 63 Conn Connstellation that will go to him next......now that I know what to expect.

2. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    Mr. Green does exceptional work.
    My 66 Constellation work done by Tom Green
    [​IMG]

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Interesting thread. I do not know Tom, but I appreciate he does good work.

I personally would not be comfortable with someone who is that far off the mark in his time management. Perhaps an opportunity for a retired part-time trumpeter to learn a new skill and work with Tom as a technician, or for a young apprentice to learn the skill and inherit a business.

I would hate for something to happen to this guy, then try to get my horn back, if he was not around. The whole time issue to me is a business issue, and Tom needs to look at ways to maintain his quality, and deliver to customer expectations. I cannot see Chris Botti using Tom to repair his prized Committee...with an X+ date delivery promise.

But I do agree, just sit back with the knowledge that this guy has a good rep for quality work, and a Bad Rep for Time Management. Have a cuppa, and sit back, a deep breath, and listen to some good music. There does not seem to be anything underhanded by all accounts.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Don't take this comment the wrong way, but there is a definition of an "Idiot" - doing something and getting a bad outcome, then doing exactly the same thing and expecting a different outcome.....
    You seem to be happy to wait, but make the decision when you get your horn back. A lot may change between now and then. Maybe if Tom knew you were a repeat customer there may be some priority given to your order as well... just saying.
    Good luck, I will be keen to see pics when you gt it back, and add some reputation to Tom's work.

5. roguemodel

roguemodel New Friend

Jun 6, 2011
    I have decided to ask for the horn to be returned asap. Negative threads are showing up on both trumpet sites.

6. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    I have not intended any negative comment toward Mr. Green on this topic. My only point is that there has been no change with my horns status and I still have had no comunication from him. I am hoping to hear that someone may have heard from him or recently recieved a horn back from him.
    Has anyone recieved a comunication from him recently? Is he OK?
    It looks like A.N.A. Mendez heard from him in January, I have not heard from him since last October when he told me it might be another three weeks to finish my horn. Anyone more recently?

7. roguemodel

roguemodel New Friend

Jun 6, 2011
    Well, that is the point. I was told my horn was going to be on its way, he just had to re-shoot the lacquer. To the point that i paid the rest of the cost. So, Tom has all my money for the horn. But the "horn will be on its way" has not happened and that was in march. I am not going to be in a position of crying over spilled milk IF some truth comes out that the business has folded or whatever. I have been there done that. Unfortunately, experience is a good teacher. Unfortunately.

8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Actually no, I first started emailing him with no response in January, I haven't heard anything from him since last year. I wanted to see if there were others here that may have some insight in to this situation. Since we don't know why this behavior is happening (or things aren't happening) I think we should cool our collective jets till we hear something.Agreed?

9. roguemodel

roguemodel New Friend

Jun 6, 2011
    Well, I think that waiting to hear something is subjective. I have emailed and called without a response. I mean, what are we talking? Another three months to hear something. There was even a time when Tom would respond to forums like this. I have heard that he might have broken his foot, that his father in law is in hospice...if that is the case and it has severely hampered his abilities then he should send out an email blast and inform us. WE WOULD ALL UNDERSTAND.

However, I had wanted to give the horn to my dad, who is 81, for Christmas 2011, now, i have decided to give it to him for his birthday in July. So, I am getting the horn back no matter what.

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Is there no one who lives near his shop that can visit?