I need a bad band......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by motteatoj, Jun 13, 2013.

1. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    How does one go about finding other folks to play 'bandlike' in a jazz/dixieland sorta genre?

1. I am an adult learner.
    2. Where I take lessons I am the only adult learner that is something other than piano or ugh, guitar.
    3. I have only been at it for 6 months so I am not that great, but I just think playing with others in about the same situation would greatly trump playing along with Aerbersol (not that there is anything wrong with that).

2. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Boy that's some stable of horns for a beginner. No real advise about finding or starting a band but good luck!

3. motteatoj

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    Ya, I've got issues with collecting....:shock:

4. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Try posting a Craigslist add and see who is upto getting together for some jam sessions. Also look into community bands if there is one local to you. Or, Check out some of the local Jr Colleges and talk to some of the instructors to see what they know about local bands playing. Good luck....

5. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Maybe the Southington-Brass or touching base with local brass bands (Classic Brass, New England Brass)?

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    This is what I did when I started my comeback about 4 years ago.

I used Craigslist to find open jam sessions in the area. Through Craigslist, I found a couple jam sessions that had musicians with my level of expertise. At these jam sessions, I found some like-minded musicians, and started a small jazz band.

I suspect there are other websites that focus on jam sessions and open mics. They're probably worth a look, too.

Mike

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Things will progress faster if you can find a so-so band that will let you play with them. If the whole band's bad, it can be a really slow go to get better.

8. motteatoj

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    Another reason trumpet is like golf....if you play with better people, you play better, if you play with bad players, you play bad as well.

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll start poking around.

9. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    If you have such a thing, community colleges sometimes have jazz classes. At the HCC campuses it is not unusual for several students to enroll in private lessons with a jazz instructor and then combine the lessons into a rehearsal band. Actually works out well for everyone, and you can recruit fellow players at your level. There are several groups like this in Houston that have been doing this for 2-3 years.

10. motteatoj

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    Great advice. Thanks!