I need a bad band......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by motteatoj, Jun 13, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not really... Mike got his start in a strip club... :D

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I got connected locally once I moved to Dayton by sitting in with a house band on improve, bring your horn night. Kept coming back every Tuesday evening. I made so many contacts that way. One thing lead to another, than another, than another, and so on until I connected with my current band mates. Had a lot of just as great memories along the way. Check your local jazz venues for an improv night, or "sittin in nite" or "bring your horn" night and have at it.

3. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
  4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hey, I take the gigs where I can find 'em. :-)

Mike

5. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
    I've had great luck finding people to play and jam with via Craigslist. Also open mics and jams at clubs. I'm shameless I'll play anything with anybody pretty much if they'll let me play. I found the jazz groups and just recently Dixie Land 2nd Line type of group all on CL.

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well, the question begs to be asked, just what sort of gig was this, Mike?:dontknow::lol:
    Jim

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    The closest I got was to play the lead trumpet in the musical "Gypsy".

Gary will like this .. The trumpet-playing stripper in the show was my girlfriend at the time. She used my trusty Olds Ambassador trumpet for her "gotta get a gimmick" stripper number.

Further evidence that you can just about anything with an Olds Ambassador. :-)

Mike

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh... any pics you want to share of your rehearsals?:oops:

9. mattiasc

mattiasc Piano User

Jan 14, 2013
    lol.

grz.

10. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, start collecting a few other players!

Seriously: Ask your church or temple or whatever religion you're following whether they would be willing to support you by asking during sermons or whatever; look round for your local Salvation Army branch; seek out the local Jazz-Dixieland hotspots and just get to know your local scene; from there on, you will get relevant info. And of course all we TMers will keep our eyes and ears wide open for you. Lucky you are not in the wide open spaces - try locating a community band in Australia's Nullarbor Plain!
    Als Gomez & Sadlon at their next gig whether they know someone - they might even need someone!

And you might just go along to your local Cultural Arts Committee Meeting - next Tuesday, 18 June. They have something called Open Mic Nights on the agenda - might be your start! Good Luck to it!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013