I need a masters help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NYCO10, Jun 7, 2010.

1. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys, my chops have started this weird thing of when ascending the bottom lip recedes under the top lip, this starts to happen around e in the staff ascending up to my top range of G above high C, have any of you other guys experienced this or heard of this weird style of playing?? also it is very difficult to articulate cleanly above the staff! any pointers would be much appreciated!

also my teacher is on holiday in Newzealand until the 27th of june, and i don't want this to get any worse!
    Thanks!

Peace NYCO10

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I'm not sure what your question is. When I play in the upper register, my bottom lip slightly rolls in over my bottom teeth,behind my top lip,with my lower jaw pushed against the bottom rim of the mouthpiece.By playing this way, I have never had any range or endurance problems.

3. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Sorry for not being clear, my lower lip continues to recede (not roll) up in behind my upper lip to the point where it is not longer visible and shortly after my tone stopping, is there a fix for keeping my embouchure in the same position but using compression or something to get the high notes?

Peace NYCO10

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    What grip do you normally use? If you change your grip slightly, it can keep the bell up, and you'll learn to compensate for that by putting your jaw forward. There will be less of what you think might be wrong.

It's not necessarily wrong, mind, but playing in class with a different grip for a while might be instructive and won't hurt anything.

Tom

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Sounds like the bottom lip goes in to hit the high notes and you are possibly using too much pressure when you get tired.
    Put the horn away for a week and then see if you have the same problem once you start back. Sometimes you just have to let the body reset itself.

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Practice soft long tones and lip slurs,play a few short sessions everyday,stop before your lip starts to feel tired,mix it up with soft etudes ,scale studies and melodies,use as little pressure as possible.

7. Arthur Magazu

Arthur Magazu New Friend

May 26, 2010
    Stow, Ma.
    I agree with the 2 prior posts... somethings being forced.. take a break or scale way back practice playing softly regain control..

8. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Currently playing with i think its called a pistol grip?? but only my little finger is under the 3rd valve slide. to be honest ive never thought about grip before and any pointers would be much appreciated!

Peace NYCO10

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    The grip affects the angle of the horn and mouthpiece on your embouchure. The more fingers you have below the 3rd valve slide the higher the angle of the bell .

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I'll compare this to something else in life:

You drive a car and notice that above 40 mph that it starts shaking. You stop the car, take a look but don't see anything wrong. You still need to drive a couple of hundred miles to get home. What do you do? You STOP DRIVING 40MPH! When you are home, you have the car looked at.

Twisting your face to get high notes is something that a lot of "younger" players do. It is not good and just means back to the basics to strengthen the "real" embouchure.

If range is earned with a real routine, gradually and sensibly, things like this almost NEVER happen. When we get impatient in life, some of the major disasters occur.

My opinion: Stop playing above high C for the next couple of weeks. There is plenty of material BELOW high C that you should also be working on!