I need a quick comparison.

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Syntax, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Syntax

Syntax New Friend

Jul 10, 2004
    Sorry for posting about this on a forum, but my research thus far on the subject has uncovered nothing.

A few players I've been interested in play the Marcinkiewicz Bobby Shew mouthpieces. These players include Adolfo Acosta, Iron Mike Bogart (from Tower of Power) and Scott Englebright. These are the 1, the 1.25, and the 1.5... I know these are considered lead mouthpieces and are on the small side, but can anyon give me a comparison? Using the Bach numbering system would be the easiest to comprehend, as most of us accept that as the universal standard. Not just with the rims either, but try to get the cups as well... knowing for example (and this is just an example, totally off) that the 1 is a lot like the 10&1/2E is much more humbling than just knowing it as a 10&1/2 rim.

So can anyone give me some info? Greatly appreciated!

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
  3. Syntax

Syntax New Friend

Jul 10, 2004
    Thanks Jim, looking at the chart, the Marcinkiewicz sizes seem to jump all over the place. There's an E16 on the first page, and then E18 on pages to follow, and E11-15 on more pages... seems hard to follow. I also see a PDF on Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces, so when I stop being lazy and open up Acrobat Reader I'll take a look at that.

While I'm on it, if anyone can, give me specs on Mic Gillete's current mouthpiece. The Marcinkiewicz website has a direct comparison chart of all its mouthpieces, signatures included, and in an incredibly ironic fassion, for some reason unknown to me, they have Mic Gillete's model omitted in the comparison columns.

As always, I appreciate any and all replies. Thanks!