I need a valve job

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Midomott, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Midomott

Midomott New Friend

Dec 14, 2008
    North San Juan Ca.
    I'm interested in restoring my Conn 48b Vocabell. I think it needs a valve job. It has almost no compression. Any advice ( besides don't waste your time and money) would be appreciated. Website referrals? Thanks, Michael

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  2. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
  3. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    Your profile says north san juan ca. Is that short for san juan capistrano california? If so, Kanstul is in Anaheim and they are great, along with Bob Reeves and Cam Brass in Valencia CA

4. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area

A friend of mine, had a complete valve job on his Vintage Calicchio from Dr. Valve. He has nothing but good things to say.

Doctor Valve, Trumpet Repair and Restoration

5. Bonasa

Bonasa Pianissimo User

Feb 9, 2008
    Western New York
    Or avoid the middlemen and go straight to where they're going to send your valves for plating: Anderson Silver Plating, in Elkhart, Indiana: Anderson Silver Plating: Valve Work

6. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Another vote for Anderson's. Almost all the other guys have Anderson do their plating. Anderson will do complete valve jobs. They did my Olds flugel 3 years ago. It is amazing.

7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I used Tom Green to rebuild the valves on my 1887 Boston trumpet and they are great. He was cheaper than Anderson's and they did the re-build, he does the work pre and post plating.

8. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I would go directly to Anderson Plateing. They charge $360 and it is all done in house!!! Most other shop's will mesure the case with a guage set ream it out to the next sive in their reamer set that will straighten the bore out and then send you valves out to Anderson with the final dimension they want the valve to mic out to. Anderson charges them $150 for this service and then they send them back to your shop where they install them. If you send it to Anderson you cut out the middle man and any excuse's if something should go wrong or not turn out right etc....The fewer the hands in the soup the better the soup normaly!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am for building LOCAL relationships. Any time you have work done on an instrument, you have a "partner" that will be more willing to help in an emergency then banking on some company 1000s of miles away. I don't know about the internet cheapskates, but I have a good working relationship with local shops and can even get my students instruments fixed off hours when necessary.

Life is about building relationships and finding common denominators that help us when times get tough. All of the recent turmoil in the financial market should have driven this message home. Some still seem to refuse to get it!
    A good dependable technician in your backyard is worth supporting even if he is more expensive. You are simply paying a bit for accessibility and investing in the future!

10. Bonasa

Bonasa Pianissimo User

Feb 9, 2008
    Western New York
    So am I...but, with all due respect, I believe you missed the point: many of the best restoration shops that provide valve rebuilding services rely on Anderson Silver Plating to do all their plating. The metal plating services required for rebuilding valves requires a huge investment in specialized equipment, personnel, and materials; the chemicals used are caustic and highly regulated by the EPA and state and local environmental protection agencies. I don't know of any musical instrument valve replating shop within 500 miles of where I live. Metal plating for musical instruments is simply not something that a local brass tech is going to be able to afford to do. It's a specialized task that can only be done profitably if there is sufficient volume to offset the investment in equipment, skilled labor, and material (which is why, I suspect, instrument-valve plating is only one division of Anderson, which also does plating for the aerospace and other high-tech industries); in short, it is a service ideally suited for outsourcing, which is why many of the very best restoration shops gladly outsource this critical function to Anderson. Are they being "internet cheapskates" for doing so? Hardly: they, too, are building a relationship with a service provider they trust to do good work. Those sorts of relationships have nothing to do with whether one is thousands of miles away or right around the corner. And the internet is simply a medium that can be used for marketing; it has made it easier for buyers to procure specialized services unavailable to them locally.

In fact, Anderson comes recommended to me by my local tech, the very same "partner" who has handled hundreds of dollars worth of routine dent work and slide-freeing and cleaning work and has been there whenever I need him to replace a spit valve cork in an emergency or handle anything else within his skills. This same tech even supplied the name of his point of contact at Anderson.

My point was simply this: if you're going to ship your horn thousands of miles for a valve plating job, why not ship it directly to the best source of precisely this service? I just don't see the value in shipping your horn to another shop so that it can be re-packed and shipped to Anderson for the work you're seeking.