I need help bad Manny very bad Manny

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach 1 1/4C Man, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Bach 1 1/4C Man

Bach 1 1/4C Man Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2004
    One of my Excerpts for the Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra is Pictuers at an Exhibition. I have to play the Promenade,Limoges-Le Marche, and La Grande Porte de Kiew.
    I'm having problems with Limoges-Le Marche this is a killer and could cause me my audition

How can I pull this off effectively

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I imagine that what the trouble is, is the rapid tonguing because you are in the cracks and can't decide what is best, fast single or slow double.

If this is the case, here are a couple of options:

1) use the Arban double tongue section and develop a nice, starchy double tongue at about quarter equals 120. Many people double too legato when the tempo is a slow one. You may one day have the same need in Ravel's Piano Concerto in G.

2) with patience, set the metronome to about 100 and practice p 148 of the Arban one line at a time. Each line will go one beat faster. So, the first line is 100, the second line is 101, third at 102 and so on. All the way down the page. The next day start at 101 and go in those same increments. You will develop a very quick single tongue in a couple of weeks and you need to continually challenge yourself until you have a single that crosses into your double tongue speed and vice versa.

Get busy and you'll do fine.

ML