I need help choosing a horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumPete, Apr 15, 2011.

1. TrumPete

TrumPete New Friend

Mar 25, 2011
    Chicago
    Hi, I need to replace a stolen Schilke B1. I talked to Phil at the shop and he told me it will take 6 months to make me a new one. I need to find a horn for the interim. I borrowed a friends Strad 37, but its way to restrictive compared to what I'm used to. Looking for something in the $1200 range. Thanks

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    what venues are you currently playing in?

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Benge Custom Built Trumpet | eBay

don't know but my gut is that this is a really open horn ... but if you have never played one there's no way if really knowing how it feels to you

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Olds recording or vintage super....

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Your comment about the Bach being restrictive is an opportunity for you to start working on YOU. If you play the Bach for a while, you will learn to leverage its qualities. That will make you a better trumpet player. I think you should run with the Bach until your Schilke is finished. You will benefit from the experience in ways that you can't presently imagine!

Monoculture is crap - just ask any "old school" farmer.

6. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Rowuk,
    I can see where you are coming from but don't entirely agree. If having a horn that had some qualities that did not suit you, then we'd all have a bit if Taiwanese rubbish as our practice horn in the hope that by overcoming its shortcomings, it will make me a better player.
    Sure, Strads are good horns, but if it doesn't suit, then it doesn't suit. It would be like buying an expensive pair of shoes that don't fit you in the hope that it will make you a better athlete. I've seen a pair of Michael Jordan's shoes. They are very cool but don't help my slam dunk in the least.
    My advice, find a horn you are comfortable with and that you can develop a relationship with. Practice can be discouraging if, in the back of your mind, you are unhappy with the axe in your hand.

7. TrumPete

TrumPete New Friend

Mar 25, 2011
    Chicago
    Coolerdave, I am doing mostly jazz and studio work.

A.N.A. Mendez, I have heard nothing but good things about the Olds Recording model, thanks.

Rowuk, I would stick with the Strad if I could, but my friend is going to want it back long before my new horn is built.

Thanks everyone for the input!!

8. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Glad to hear you to sticking up for my "peeps" :-)

BrotherBACH

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    OB,
    I used to play a Bach 72*. I really liked it. Nice sizzle when you leaned on it, pretty easy to play. I took it to my repairman for a complete overhaul, valve job, silver plating and got a Bach large bore something I think with a 25 bell. It was like blowing into a brick wall. I knew that my horn would be gone for about 4 weeks and thought I would just live with it. As it turned out, my technician threw his back out and it took 6 months to get mine back. After 4 weeks of the 25L, I discovered that I was backing off, letting the horn do more. As a result, the stiffness started to disappear. By the time my horn came back, I had learned a very major, VERY positive lesson. Freeing ourselves of external handicaps is a GREAT lesson for all brass players (for husbands too............).

Turn disadvantages into assets.

It really doesn't apply here as the thread owner can't keep the Bach anyway. I am confident that a lot could have come out of that originally suboptimal relationship...............

Plan B? Something vintage? I am not sure....... I would suggest NOT duplicating the old horn, rather getting a complementary set of tonal colors. A C trumpet?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  10. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Its rare, but I have to agree. No time like the present to learn about "different". Not better or worse, but just different. You will learn more about yourself than about the interrum horn. The benefits wont show up till you get back to your Schilke. I had a similar experience a while ago that I count as the best lesson I ever had to learn. Best wishes.

For horn suggestions, might I recomend a Getzen 700 Eterna II. You will still have use for it later if you dont resell it after your replacement Schilke arrives.