I need help choosing a horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumPete, Apr 15, 2011.

1. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    I have no problem with different. Inferior or unsuited is a different matter. Life's short. Why spend time overcoming a problem when you can do so by picking up another horn.
    You never know when that pivotal moment comes along. Twenty or so years ago, I was playing a gig in a dingy little bar. The audience consisted of two men and a dog. One of the men turned out to be a one of the countries biggest booking agents at the time which lead to about a decade of well paid work.
    Imagine if I had of said to him "Look I'm not playing my best. I am trying to overcome/ discover some things about horn as it doesn't sit well with me."
    His response would have been " Well what are you playing it for?"
    I believe you should try to develop a relationship with a horn.( I can't believe the number of people on this site who have large numbers of trumpets. Don't know how they really get to know the nuaces of any of them)
    When people on this site say they have a compatibility problem with a mouthpiece, there is no end of advice about a replacement. Can't see how this is any different really.
    People on this site often personify their horns and talk about them like a partner. There is lots to get to know and discover about someone you really like. Don't care what the label says. I can't see the point of persisting with a fat ugly one if you can find one you truly love.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    ozboy ... Robin needs no defence .. so this is my take on "different"
    I was never aware that an open feeling horn is not dependent on lead pipe size but has more to do with the acoustical resonance of the instrument. Different has more to do with the way we approach the instrument to produce a full tone more than trying to overcome anything.
    Relying less on power and force and more by being in tune with the instrument.
    that being said
    If you can find a Bach 72* with a 25 leadpipe you will probably be very happy.
    IMHO

3. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    No one who expresses a logical, thoughtful opinion needs defence on this site I would hope.
    Let's look back to the original post. Our friend makes it clear, I thought, that the Bach on offer is not what he is looking for. Trying to convice him to take on something that he clearly doesn't want is not what he was looking for, I assume. I got two main ideas from his original post.
    1."The Bach is too restrictive" makes me think he is not keen.
    2.Can you suggest something else around/ up to $1200?.
    The assumption has been made, a little, that this guy needs to discover something about himself or his playing that is deficient. He might be a flawless player who has nothing to learn by coming to terms with a horn he obviously does not feel 100% comfortable with. That kind of journey may well be a waste of time. We do not know this from the post provided. Maybe going on a self discovery mission could be the best thing for him. Who knows?

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    exactly...which is why I threw out some ehorn suggestions ... but also agreed that "this might be a opportunity in disguise" .... if it is how cool would that be..

5. TrumPete

TrumPete New Friend

Mar 25, 2011
    Chicago
    I am so glad I found this site. So many knowlegeable people and so much great information. I thought people would just start throwing horn names out there. I had no idea that many of you would put so much thought and time into helping me. I also now see that I should have ellaborated a little more about myself and not just the horn. First of all let me say that in no way, shape or form do I believe that the Bach Strad is flawed. I know that it is me that me, wrestling with it. I have only had one trumpet my whole life except for the rental cornet that I used for the first few years. I got my Schilke in 7th. grade. I just turned 50 this past week, so it has been a very long relationship. When I got the Strad, it felt foriegn to me. I have been putting about 3-4 hours a day on it and it gets easier every day. One big plus is that I can play some passages on it that used to take a carefully placed breath in the middle all the way through without collapsing a lung. The Bach is a very nice horn, I never meant to imply that I thought it was not. I have learned to back off a bit and it has gotten better. If I could keep the horn for the full 6 months, I would. I had someone tell me to look at the Holton MF ST 307. Large Bore with full radius, looks like a pretty open horn, any thoughts? Or do I go with something completely different than the Schilke and have a wider palette? Ahh, decisions, decisions. Again, thanks to everyone for taking the time to help. Peter

6. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    I thinl I speak for all of us when I say" You are most welcome Pete".

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    TP,

You are a lucky guy. A Schilke in the 7th grade!

Actually there is a lot to think about. When I mentioned "complementary", I meant that the interim horn could end up being a keeper for other occasions, where more "intimite", less "sizzle", different "core" could offer a wider palette of possibilities. I like this concept. It also represents my personal collection of instruments.

How open the horn is depends on the match between you, the mouthpiece and the horn. I couldn't even guess without trying it myself.

The most open horn that I have ever played was a Flip Oakes Wild Thing. So open that I couldn't even play a long phrase. I would have to spend some serious time getting used to it.

For the record, I agree with everything that ozboy said. No qualified decision is possible without considering every point that he made.

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    You asked for suggestions -cooler dave said Benge. Open and probably what you are hun ting. Also think about a Kanstul 1000 or 1001 -the Kanstul "Benge" Chicago.

9. TrumPete

TrumPete New Friend

Mar 25, 2011
    Chicago
    Rowuk,
    I am a lucky guy, and spoiled. My great uncle Bill Vacchiano (uncle willie) wanted me to have a good start. I lived in Chicago, so he contacted Renold Schilke about teaching me trumpet. By sixth grade I was studying with Scott Laskey and then later Renold. I would travel to New York every summer and spend every possible moment with Bill. He was a huge influence on me and when my dad asked him what horn he should buy for me, he refered them back to Renold and that is how I ended up with the B1 at such a young age. I cherished that horn and took very good care of it. I hope you can understand why I have to replace it. Anyway, the Bach gets better everyday. I am warming to the idea of a second "different" horn. Thanks again

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    TrumPete,

Let us know what you think of the Bach after you have played it for a couple of weeks. While I agree with you that if you have a horn that works, then moving to something else for the sake of changing isn't the best idea. Still, since circumstances have put a strad in your path, it would be interesting to hear what you think of it after you have spent some time on it.

I know that when I move from one horn to another, there is almost always an adjustment period. When I got my 53 Super, it seemed really stuffy in the upper register. However, I must have made some modification without knowing it, as after a week it seemed quite open. Maybe you will have the same experience. Since you have been with one horn for so long, I would expect the change would seem much more difficult and pronounced than those of us that pick up a different horn regularly. Let us know you perception after some time with it.