I need help, please.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ineedhelp, Jul 1, 2011.

1. ineedhelp

ineedhelp New Friend

Apr 30, 2011
    Hello everyone. Lately, when I play trumpet and I play a G on staff or anything higher, I feel my throat tense up. I also seem to pinch my lips alot and when I do this, it stops my air flow. Any ideas or advice on how I can stop tensing my throat or pinching my lips? I know it's a common problem, but I want to stop!! Thank you for your time.

2. obeedge

obeedge New Friend

May 18, 2011
    You first have to learn to play correctly in the staff. I would recomend doing easy to moderate lip slurs and learn to relax. Relaxing is one of the essentials of playing trumpet. Go for a full and free sound at all times.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
  4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    You're closing your throat. You need to get a teacher who can help you with this. This can be difficult to fix if you keep doing it.

5. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    You could try getting together with a good teacher and doing some pedal tone work. The Pierre Thibaud method is fantastic.

It might also be worth thinking about things a different way - try BALANCING the pressure of your embouchure, air flow, and mouthpiece rather than matching the pressures. Also, concentrate on where in the body and/or trumpet you feel the point of resistance.

All the best,
    AK