I need help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Fredrick, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Albert Castillo

Albert Castillo Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2006
    Munich
    ?????????

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Dave, I would not be so sure....I have seen some great trumpeter who does not get into your type of trumpet embouchure. There is few theories about embouchure placement and some says 1/2-1/2 other says 1/3-2/3 etc.
    I have seen Thomas Stevens playing live with a quite low embouchure placement but sounded amazingly well...as he always does. The general rule that you gave has many exceptions...

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Fredrick,
    I did not interpret your post as arrogant. If anything, my post could have been interpreted that way.
    The problems you describe are not unusual and I think that the combination horn/trumpet is not helpful for either instrument. There may be exceptions out there, but that is exactly what they are. You are not charting new territory and the chance for frustration is pretty great. I wouldn't take a student with the trumpet/horn combination unless they were willing to give up horn. Too many conflicts in playing, body usage and hearing.
    Embouchure help over the internet is like proposing to marry someone that you only have chatted with over the internet - too many unknown factors!

You sound like you are on your way to be a real kick @ss horn player. I would find some instrument less destructive to your horn embouchure and playing concept - seriously - like the F tuba (also a member of the horn family by the way!).