I need help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sixstringbrassdude, Oct 19, 2012.

1. sixstringbrassdude

sixstringbrassdude New Friend

Oct 18, 2012
    Rhode Island
    I have been playing trumpet since the fifth grade, last year I switched to trombone. I am now in tenth grade, and I recently picked up my trumpet finding that I havent lost my love for trumpet. I have been practicing both constantly for the last month. I play trombone in my school's symphonic band, and am planning to major in music in college. If I continue to play trombone in high school, can I play trombone in college?

2. sixstringbrassdude

sixstringbrassdude New Friend

Oct 18, 2012
    Rhode Island
    I meant trumpet... can I play that in college

3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Yes, you can play both if you show proficiency in them.

4. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Yes you can, but you may have to make your own trumpet-playing opportunities. There are generally more trumpet players than trombone players (unless the school you attend has a strong trombone studio), and you may find yourself strongly "encouraged" to play trombone in any school group you play in.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Maynard Ferguson, James Morrison (the Australian guy), trombone Shorty ---- those are the 3 that are on the tip of my tongue --- who have(do) show the world, that you can proficiently play both instruments very well. Albeit, I bet they practice(d) on both instruments quite a lot!!!! BUT WHY CAN'T THAT BE YOU???

6. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    I absolutely must chime in here.

I was interested in playing the bassoon from a very early age. Because my hands were too small, my band director in grade school suggested the trombone. I enjoyed it; I excelled at it, and years later I realize what a valuable lesson I learned.

There is no fingering chart for a trombone; no slotting of notes. It's entirely up to the player to play it in tune. This proved helpful with the bassoon, as it is horribly bad at slotting notes - you have to get by with things like alternate fingerings, 'half-holes' and 'lipping' the notes in tune.

I am very finicky about intonation, and my training on the trombone is why I can pretty much pick up any instrument and get a scale out of it. I think everyone should play a 'linear' instrument once in a while to keep that part of the brain sharp.

7. Cristina G

Cristina G New Friend

Jul 9, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I totally agree. Perhaps you can also try a soprano trombone if you'd like to stick with the high register.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    No rationale why you can't play trombone in college .... unless you don't play it that well.