I need some help please!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Michael T. Doublec, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Michael T. Doublec

Michael T. Doublec Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2014
    Hello all,
    I haven't posted for a while. I have had extensive oral surgery which required removal of all of my original teeth. I now have temporary dentures which suck to be honest. I have had implants placed which cannot be utilized for around 6 months until they are set into the jawbone, so I have a long road ahead. I am optimistic these implants will be as good or better than the original teeth, but that remains to be seen.

Ironically, yesterday I received a frantic call from one of my 14 yr. old students. He told me he had just had his braces removed, and he was having trouble doing anything on his horn. Needless to say, this call just broke my heart because I had no answers for him. I have no answers for myself either. Has anyone out there had a similar experience with a student? Is there a time period where the chops adjust to the change. What exercises does one do to help the process along. Does anyone have any experience with full dental implants? I know some of you on this website have had similar dental challenges and any help or direction will be greatly appreciated.

Mike Fesi

2. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I had braces for three years. They helped me learn to play without excess pressure. There was a 3 or 4 week adjustment period because your lips no longer are 3/16-1/4 inch from your teeth. With daily practice, range will be better than before, as are lip slurs and flexibility.
    It just takes practice.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Long tones and lip slurs, LOTS of easy tunes like out of the hymnbook. No messing around with high notes until new habits are formed. Close monitoring to insure that that big breath is ALWAYS being taken.