I need the biggest, fattest sounding Lead Trumpet player in Europe

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Antimaps, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Ruud Breuls (Metropole Orchestra)

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Its probably maybe about 10% horn and mouthpiece. Arturo Sandoval will always sound like Arturo Sandoval, regardless of equipment. If you go through Maynard's career, you can sometimes tell which horn he is using because of a slightly difference coloration but not significantly. Good breath and embouchure, mostly breath, go a VERY long way.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  4. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I grabbed a lesson with Arturo once and can attest that his sound/range is not due to equipment. He's had that on Bach, on the WT, on everything, and his mpc is not small. Also, he's not really a lead player, but a soloist and chooses equipment that helps him get his sound out and makes him comfortable.

Yes, Ron Mesa should still be in France, and he's a very capable player, known as homebilly on the herald site for easy pm'ing.

ed

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Yeah, that kind of confused me, too. When I think of "the biggest, fattest sounding lead trumper player", I'm more inclined to think of someone like Conrad Gozzo.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  7. Antimaps

Antimaps New Friend

Nov 11, 2010
    Sorry. I didn't meant to confuse anyone.

Joey Pero and Arturo Sandoval are simply examples of the tone we're looking for in the high range. The players we've used in the past have a tight, focussed high range with good tone. This time, we need something a little less polite.

8. Antimaps

Antimaps New Friend

Nov 11, 2010
    Deleted: Double post

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Gary,
    I have limited interest in gigs where I am supposed to sound like Arturo. I am not one of the fattest lead players in Europe (actually I have lost 35 pounds since Christmas). There are much better suited players for that. Thanks anyway.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    :thumbsup: