I need the scoop on tuning slides

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JonathanShaw, Feb 24, 2008.

1. JonathanShaw

JonathanShaw Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2006
    The horn I bough a while ago came with two tuning slides. One with a rectangular type bend and the other with a rounder semi circle type bend in it. Obviously there's a generic "play it and see which feels best" and i know which feels best but I'm looking for the actual effects that the way it shapes your air stream has on the feel and sound.
    Thanks
    Jon

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I believe the square one offers a bit more resistance than the round.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The difference has little to do with airflow. Our air is not moving at a substantial enough volume for that to make a difference. Just think about the volume of air in your lungs available for playing: max 6 liters. How long can you play before running out of air?

The reason it sounds different is because of the braces and temper of the bends. At every bend there is also a bit of inaccuracy of the bore, that changes the position of the resonant nodes slightly. The ovate slide only has one bend, the square one two.

On horns with an option, the "ovate" slide seems to slot less than the square one. That does not mean that all horns with ovate slide slot worse than others with square ones. Each designer can optimise the sound/cosmetics any way that they want. There is no set rule!