I need to pick a trumpet(newbie)?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by pitchfork, Mar 20, 2006.

1. pitchfork

pitchfork New Friend

Mar 20, 2006
    hello, I've decided to buy a trumpet and start taking lessons at a local shop. I want a trumpet to play in my band so i dont want a beginners trumpet. I want something i can still use in 5 years ya know. Any suggestions? Id like to stay under $600. thanks

2. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    For under $600 and not a beginers horn, you're best bet would probably be on eBay or a similar site. I would suggest looking on eBay with someone who is experienced in this because there are alot of scams out there that look like a good buy if you don't know for sure what you're looking at.

Some things to stay away from:
    -"Band Director Approved"
    -"Teacher Approved"
    -"German Made" (i'm not bashing german made horns, scam artist just use that alot for some reason)
    -anything made in China or India
    -If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Just because a horn is old or dosn't look pretty dosn't mean it's a bad horn. I'm sure others will post talking about specific brands and modles that would be a good buy on eBay.

Hope this helps.

3. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    Yea, German made, STAY AWAY from those Straubs and Inderbindens, haha, just kidding, good luck on your search. For your price range I would reccomend a King silver flair or a slightly used Yamaha YTR-2335(a student horn that plays like a pro horn).

4. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I agree with the Ebay idea. There will be several great horns sell for under $600 in the next few week. Never hard to pick up a nice horn for a good price on Ebay.

A Benge ending this morning at 11:26 CST:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Benge-MLP-Profe...399941962QQcategoryZ16214QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bach Strad still under $600 with less than 2-days left:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BACH-STRAD-Stra...399296762QQcategoryZ41400QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bach Strad ending today:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Bach-Stradivari...399542192QQcategoryZ41400QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

One more Bach Strad at a good price:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Bach-Stradivari...399437551QQcategoryZ41400QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    My suggestion to you if you want a good horn that plays well and is going to last in that price range is to buy something used. Ask around and see if you know anyone who has something they aren't using and are willing to part with. Horns to look for:

Bach Strads (hard to go wrong with a good ML 37)
    Benges (preferably early LA years or earlier, although those usually are more than $600)
    Yamahas (pro models)
    King Silver Flairs
    Conn Constellations
    Kanstuls

Don't be afraid to buy something a little older - a good brass tech can put the horn through the wringer in terms of chem cleaning and valves work for a reasonable amount of money. Also, don't be afraid to buy a horn that looks a bit tattered around the edges. (unless it has obviously been abused) I have a Bach Strad L bore, 25 bell that looks pretty rough, but mainly around the valve casing, and where I had the bell brace moved. One of the reasons it looks rough is because I have put A LOT of hours on it in the 9 years I have owned it. At the moment I'm not using it because I now have a Schilke B6 that has become my axe of choice.

Good luck - keep us posted on what you find and if you aren't sure about something, ask away here online - there are guys here with tons of knowledge about what's what, especially on the good used older horns.

6. NickD

NickD Forte User

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I once emailed one of the guys (a large, ebay "retailer") who sell those "German made" or "German engineered" trumpets on Ebay and asked him point-blank what he meant by the phrase. Turns out that they mean "copied from a German design"! Where the horn is actually made has absolutely nothing to do with Germany so don't blame the Germans!

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    One of the cheapest ways to get into a 'pro' horn is to buy a used
    F. Besson Meha from the years they were made by Kanstul.

These are very similar to older Benge trumpets and are very
    decent horns.