I need your help TM... badly...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet98, Sep 30, 2012.

1. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    OK, here's the story.

I've been evaluating my playing technique since pretty much the beginning of the year. I've been trying all sorts of whacky things but then I realised it was something in the very core fundamentals of my playing that has been limiting me. Instead of relaxing the centre of my lips and firming the corners, I've been doing the opposite. The corners of my lips haven't been that firm at all, and the centre of my lips aren't firm. This basically means I haven't been developing much at all in terms of the muscles required for range development for a very, very long time...

Which is bloody annoying. I have practiced today doing the 'correct' technique, and my tone has improved (up to a point). However, my range has gone down to an all-time low. I haven't had a range this bad since the start of high school, maybe even since the end of primary school. I have improved my low range though - I reached a double pedal E today! Yay!

One thing I also noticed is that when I did it this way, I have no swelling at all (or perhaps I did, just very little) in my lips. But even with this, I struggle to play anything above the staff. Simple notes I was comfortable with just one week ago have become a challenge or impossible to me now. Top staff G or G# is about my limit now.

This is absolutely devastating to me. I've had to reform, go back to the very basics of development. I can't play the concertos and music I am used to playing without reverting back to the 'old' technique. Goodbye Haydn, Hummel and Pakhmutova.

I just feel so depressed with myself right now. I need your help forum. How do I go about correcting my technique? What kind of things should I and should I not play for the time being? How long will this take?

Many thanks forum,

McTrumpet

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I'm in the same boat that you are. Before I realized how wrong I was, I had a nice high F, I dropped all the way to E in the staff. It has been about two and a half weeks and I'm just pushing into a Bb. It is frustrating, I know. I've never been so mad at how I play but, even in my slight head start I can say that it is worth it. My tone, flexibility, and everything albeit range have improved significantly. Take it slow, you are probably using relatively untouched muscle. Do some long tones, some Clarke studies, and some lower range slurs. Build those chops back up but most importantly, take it easy. I did lose endurance, about an hour and a half worth, but it is coming back fairly quickly. Forget how good you WERE and focus on becoming as good as you WANT to be. Check with a teacher to make sure this is the right change too.

mctrumpet98 likes this.
  3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I suggest you should start working from "Musical Calesthenics for Brass" by Carmine Caruso. I went through a similar change several years ago and this was a great help.

PM me if I can help.

Regards, Stuart.

4. mctrumpet98

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under

What a coincidence! But mate, over an octave of range lost and one and a half hours endurance? That's a hell of a lot. And I was thinking I was doing pretty bad at losing a major 6th in range...

In regards to things other than technical work (i.e. music pieces) what would you recommend? Right now I'm just thinking of running through various etudes and studies (Arban's and others), choosing carefully so I don't go too high...

5. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
  6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    mctrumpet --- DUDE, I really don't know what you are worried about. YOU already diagnosed the problem, and figured out how to correct it. YOU are so far ahead of a vast majority of people who have no clue how to correct anything on their trumpet.

SO YOU LOST SOME oooomph in your playing temporarily --- BUT LONG TERM you got it going in the right direction.

REMEMBER THE MOST IMPOTANT THINGS TO PLAYING THE TRUMPET--- (patience, perserverance, practice, AND more PATIENCE with oneself)
    dude - play and be happy, rejoice in heading in the correct direction --- look for tomorrow, and not yesterday --- and you will be allright!!!

7. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    The best answer anyone can give you is to stay the course and keep practicing.

8. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    The first day I dropped to an E which quickly went to G then A then Bb. My change was seriously extreme because before my emouchure was seriously bad. And it was like starting all over again.

Other than technical stuff, I wouldn't bother. I'm TRYING to relearn a piece to officially get into my schools music studio, I got so frustrated I threw my music. What I'm trying to say, if you try playing music that you could before, you might get frustrated when you may not be able to play it. Do the good stuff for about a week then try playing some etudes and such.

9. mctrumpet98

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Ok guys, so with all your suggestions taken on board, I've worked out a routine for myself which I believe will give me the best possible chance to achieving my goal. It uses concepts from the calisthenics book, the 19/30 exercise, the 'relaxed' embourchure approach, Arban and Clarke exercises, as well as exercises I made myself.

I am, as always, appreciative of your wisdom and advice in regards to trumpet playing. Thank you.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    of course mctrumpet --- you got us all worried with your "pessimism" --- -you know seeing is how you are from "down under" that caught us off guard --- WE NEVER SUSPECTED that the down under people were actually quite similiar to us in the Northern Hemisphere ----- I guess we are all rather NORMAL!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL :wub: :wub: :wub: