I played a 1938 Martin Committee tonight

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Chuck Cox, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I knew that would get your attention. It's the absolute truth though. I bought a 1938 Martin ( Searchlight) Committee alto sax to restore.
    And no, I don't play sax. But it's not hard at all once you get the reed right and where to put your top teeth on the mouthpiece and bottom lip the right distance down on the reed. I don't want to slight any sax players, but, sax is soooo much easier to get notes out of than a trumpet. Vibrato is easy and growling is easy too. If I had more than 4 notes under my belt, I'd hit the road. I'll have it up on eBay in a couple of days for you guys to see. No Youtube videos of me playing it are scheduled at this point.
    :cool:

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Awwwww shucks!!!! I've always wanted to try the sax.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So does it have a dark sound?

4. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Appreciate being spared.

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    And do you know the difference between the sound of a saxaphone and a car horn?

Cue drum rolll.............

A car horn has vibrato

6. flacoman

flacoman Pianissimo User

Oct 4, 2011
    Hmmm; Kidlet has a Buescher now , will keep my eye peeled for the listing :cool:

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Because you think the Committee model would be an upgrade? I have a sax player friend or two I'd like to introduce to you....

Tom

8. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Buescher had some phat saxes in their earlier models. Big "B" is sought after by players and collectors. Selmer Mark VI absolutely sets the standard. ( $5000 for an alto $8000 for a tenor ). I have a Committee for $1100. Old Martin saxes are sought after by professionals who play ballads or with small ensembles. My repairman Peter Lamb likes Martin saxes....and he is a professional tenor sax player ( Peter Lamb and the Wolves....google worthy ).

9. flacoman

flacoman Pianissimo User

Oct 4, 2011
    This Buescher is a Tru-Tone , not the big "B" model . The Martin searchlight models have a nice tone also . Mark VI 's are crazy expensive!