I probably already know the answer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Patric_Bernard, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    But what is proper dress for an audition? These guys aren't really giving us anything to go with, so I'm guessing Formal.

And by the way, I am going with The 1st Characteristic study. I have it all together, for the most part, just gotta do some serious cleaning on it. I should be set by Saturday.

2. Original_Username

Original_Username Pianissimo User

Mar 5, 2008
    Beijing, China
    I'd look as presentable as possible, though be sure to make it comfortable.

Don't wear a tie because that will just constrict your throat and therefore your air. Of course at my school, I know all the music directors extremely well and so auditions with them are casual. I do wear a polo shirt and khakis just in case though.

3. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    If in doubt, dress to impress. The least formal I will dress for an audition, even if it is a behind the curtain type deal, is khaki pants and a nice button down shirt. You can wear a tie if you like, just make sure it isn't tight when you are playing (aka loosen it enough to play but still have it look like it should.) Even if I were told that I could wear jeans and a t-shirt, I would still dress up at least this nice. Basically Church clothes.

4. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    ok awesome. thanks

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    you will not lose the job because you are overdressed, but may if you are underdressed. Make sure that your clothes fit your personality. Most groups are looking for the real thing, not an imitation!

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Don't be underdressed. You can always take off your tie or coat before you play if everyone else is more casual. No offence to others, but I think khaki colored pants are tacky for an audition. You want to dress for the job you want. Think "performer," not "Best Buy clerk."

7. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    I think cut off jean shorts and one of those tuxedo tee shirts and flip flops should be fine. And don't bother combing your hair, just wear one of those hats with the beer cans on each side and the hose to drink from.
    Seriously, it couldn't hurt to look nice. Good luck!

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Don't take any chances - the rules of interview are such that you dress as you expect to for work, or better. Collar and tie, with jacket is always my minimum. Turn up over-dressed, and only remove your jacket if invited. Never remove jacket or tie if you receive no such invitation - or if the panel are similarly dressed in jacket and tie. TURN OFF CELL PHONE - never leave it on. Don't smoke even if you receive permission. Listen, Listen, Listen. Best of luck.

9. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Hopefully you don't smoke to begin with, since our lungs are a vital part of playing, its best to keep them healthy. I myself am in the process of quitting smoking. (3 1/2 weeks without buying any, only bummed 5, going cold turkey)
    But if you do smoke, it is best not only not to smoke if granted permission, but suck it up for the day and don't smoke at all before the audition.

And while I am thinking about it: Clothes aren't the only important thing here. Make sure you brush your teeth after you last mean before the audition, which should be no less than an hour before you perform. Wear deodorant/antiperspirant. Cologne or other "smell goods" are up to you, but don't put it on too strong, too much cologne is almost, if not, as bad as no shower/deodorant. Make sure you take a good shower in the morning, wash your face, shave, and follow all the other hygenical stuff that you may not do on a normal day.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I only "smoke" when my horn is 'on song' - and living in the Great Land of Oz - a warm humid climate on the east coast, washing daily is de riguer. Turning your socks (sox) inside out every other day is also I good idea - they take longer to get crusty, but when they do tapping the feet really gives some fabulous overtones - who needs percussionists. Oh sorry, this was a serious post until now wasn't it
    - nplotts, stop it.