I sound awful

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aarix, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Aarix

Aarix New Friend

Dec 24, 2010
    I'm a senior and 1st Chair trumpet, 3 years ago our trumpet player sounded 2 steps above everyone and I was inspired. She told me it was a $1500 trumpet so I figured that was a factor. Anyway, my trumpet playing sound horrid, I always hear something like Static when I play and it sounds no better than a freshmen, I don't know if its pitch or tone but the bare general sound just doesn't sound as well as I could do. My range is amazing and I'm dtermined but I'm comparing sounds to people like this: Linkin Park - What I've Done (trumpet+piano) - YouTube
    I simply cannot get that sound. I have all summer to practice. Please Help me.

2. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    If you have all summer to practice, then I know how you will be spending it. Or at least, how you should.

3. Aarix

Aarix New Friend

Dec 24, 2010
    Between work and friends I spend 1-2 hours a day doing random exercises,
    i'm determined to get a above average sound but I can't see how I can sound any different, since I also play tuba I use ALOT of air so thats not the issue.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'm assuming that isn't you on the recording--correct? Aside from taking lessons from a good teacher, there are really few things you can do in terms of DIY improvement.
    1. Do you sound different on different horns and mouthpieces, or do you get the "static" in your sound no matter what you play on?
    2. If it isn't the instrument or mouthpiece, what do you practice? How long? What dynamics? The more we know, the more we can help, but it won't be a substitute for a good teacher.

In general, the key to a good sound involves long tones, lyrical and soft playing.

Good luck!

5. Aarix

Aarix New Friend

Dec 24, 2010
    its not but I use the audio to practice and try to match his tone and pitch and I fail miserably I've been working on it for well over a year.

1. I sound Average on tuba and trombone, but thats due to them being my secondary instruments
    2. I practice my trumpet an hour or 2 a day or a bunch of 10 minute exercises, usually forte at least, I'm working on "the carnvial of venice" for lower dynamics.

I appreciate your help, my band instructor gave me some exercises from "the buzzing book" by thompson. So far only my range has strengthen but I still don't sound 1st chair quality at all.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  6. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Random exercises are good, but you need to play pieces. Work on expression, dynamics, getting a full sound, and sight reading.

7. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA

If you have been working on that for over a year, you need to find a new piece.

Range is not everything, a lot of high school players think that. Forget about it, you will never see a piece go above a D, sometimes a D#/Eb in high school. 10 minute exercises will not do you a lot of good, the goal of every practice time you take is to improve one thing. Do not concentrate on being as loud as you can, again, something high school players like to do.

8. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Frankly, in my humble opinion, there may be a conflict between you playing a tuba and a trumpet. It may be that you need to focus on trumpet only if you want to reach the semi-professional ranks. I know the stresses a Band Director can place on you to play both. You may need to have a heart to heart talk with him and see if he/she will agree with this premise. I played euphonium for a while in High School and was good at it, but I loved the trumpet. I had the talk and have no regrets. Neither did he after he saw the improvement. Playing trumpet requires a great deal of committment. Example: Conrad Gozzo practiced 6 hours a day beginnig at age 8. By the age 16 he was considered a professional. Practice, practice, practice is what is required.
    Best Regards

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I am not arguing this point -- per say -- but I have been playing trombone (learning it, good enough to play in the coummunity band summer parades) -- and my trumpet playing has not suffered in tone. My range, actually went down 2 or 3 notes on the trumpet, but the rest of the notes above high C to high F are "fuller, and more resonant" while I have been playing the trombone.
    such as it is -- LONG, soft, tones in the staff for the trumpet is key (FOR ME) -- and like D.C. Al Fine above, dynamics and expression and such.
    In my opinion -- you need to be disciplined on all the instruments (if you want to play them) --- and if the trumpet is hurting in tone -- you need to discipline on that - or clean your horn (can't believe no one mentioned that yet).

10. Aarix

Aarix New Friend

Dec 24, 2010
    I do, I practice with Moonlight Sonata and my old trumpet piece "the carnival of venice" since I got a 39/40 on it. And then I do air and lip practicing

I know range isn't that important and i'm not "loud" I use a lot of air because I've been told its needed but I keep the volume under control just I'm not good at transitioning volumes.

we found a new tuba player to take over and I adjusted quickly but I never felt it crippling except on bad days, my playing Yea I know people who played 5-7 hours a day and they're jaw-dropping, I'm not a professional, I've learned that a while back, but I'd be content with sounding clear and smooth,